PC doesn't recognize USB devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

b33kewl

my PC kept saying "USB not recongnized" anyway, I ignored it because my usb stuff worked fine. Until this morning, that's when none of my usb devices worked on my PC. I tried almost everything. Disabling my USB hosts in the control panel, restored my PC to when it was healthy. But nothing seems to work, I need help. I tried plugging my psp, usb thumb dive and even my iPhone, yet none of the will sync with my PC because my PC won't recognize an USB device for some reason. Honestly, all of this started one day when my brother needed help with his GPS he called Garmin n they sent him a USB cable; once I plugged it in and it was fix I left the cable in my pc and that's when all this started. Could that be an issue? Oh and I'm using Win xp.

And here's my usb info.

IRQ 0 System timer OK
IRQ 1 Logitech PS/2 Keyboard OK
IRQ 4 Communications Port (COM1) OK
IRQ 8 System CMOS/real time clock OK
IRQ 9 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System OK
IRQ 10 NVIDIA nForce PCI System Management OK
IRQ 12 Logitech-compatible Mouse PS/2 OK
IRQ 13 Numeric data processor OK
IRQ 14 Primary IDE Channel OK
IRQ 15 Secondary IDE Channel OK
IRQ 16 NVIDIA GeForce 6100 OK
IRQ 16 VIA OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller OK
IRQ 18 Hauppauge WinTV PVR PCI II (26xxx) OK
IRQ 19 PCI Soft Data Fax Modem with SmartCP OK
IRQ 20 Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller OK
IRQ 20 Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio OK
IRQ 21 Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller OK
IRQ 21 Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller OK
IRQ 21 NVIDIA Network Bus Enumerator OK

And here's my usb info
Well that's your IRQ info, for all your installed devices

Have you tried removing your USB devices in Device Manager, even in Safe Mode?
Device Manager: Start->Run-> Devmgmt.msc

Note: if you only have USB Keyboard and Mouse, you will lose all functionality of these devices until restart

You could also try Checkdisk on your drive as well

Checkdisk Xp, or Checkdisk Vista instructions

^I didn't try removing usb devices in safe mode, should I try it? And I do have a USB mouse and KB neither of them are working right now. I had to grab my old stuff to surf the web to ask this question.

^ I tried safe mode and I deleted the stuff and rebooted back to normal and it still doesn't work. I'll try the other thing you posted.

EDIT:Which one do I select chk disk f or r?

Here's another option:

Have a look at:
Viruses/Spyware/Malware Preliminary Removal Instructions

I take it though that USB did not work in Safe Mode?
If not, it is looking more and more like Hardware related.

Actually I just had a thought :rolleyes: Can you reset CMOS to defaults?
When you first turn on your computer, you should notice a "Press DEL (or some other key) to get into Setup" (or CMOS or Bios)

Once in CMOS Setup, locate Set Defaults. Enable that, then Save and Exit (usually F10 key)

edit:

chkdsk /f

^ "chkdsk volume:/f" that isn't working. The prompt screen said invaild drive,patch or name. r says the same soI'll try the default setting.

^Okay thanks. I can't believe it my whole problem started after I plugged in a GPS that was malfunctioning in my computer. I got the usb cable from Garmin n plugged in the Garmin gps and that's when I first saw the usb recognizing problem. It took a day before my computer stopped recognizing my devices.

I think it worked I'm gonna restart my pc.

EDIT: MS Corp. blocked program:Generic host process for win32 services. And the usb still isn't working after I tried the thing it.

MS Corp. blocked program:Generic host process for win32 services
That's interesting

Could you turn off Windows Firewall for a moment just to test
Now Windows firewall in Vista .. Please try Control Panel

^okay ill try it now,

EDIT:Nothing...It didn't work the usb ports still won't recognize my devices.

Dang, I tried everything nothing seems to be working...

It's not clear from your post if only tried removing drivers for USB devices.

If so, you should remove drivers for the USB controllers themselves
Also, try removing power
See this thread

^ I uninstalled all the usb devices in device manager, but I'll try the "disconnect all cables thing" Because I went to safe mode went to device manager and got rid of all the usb stuff in device manager. Is there something else I'm supposed to get rid of? iTunes? My programs that use usb devices?

Here's another option:

Have a look at:
Viruses/Spyware/Malware Preliminary Removal Instructions

I take it though that USB did not work in Safe Mode?

If not, it is looking more and more like Hardware related.

Actually I just had a thought :rolleyes: Can you reset CMOS to defaults?
When you first turn on your computer, you should notice a "Press DEL (or some other key) to get into Setup" (or CMOS or Bios)

Once in CMOS Setup, locate Set Defaults. Enable that, then Save and Exit (usually F10 key)

Was this done?

^ I uninstalled all the usb devices in device manager, but I'll try the "disconnect all cables thing" Because I went to safe mode went to device manager and got rid of all the usb stuff in device manager. Is there something else I'm supposed to get rid of? iTunes? My programs that use usb devices?
No, i'm only referring to the controllers that appear under Universal Serial Bus controllers

For example, on my computer i would see entries similar as follows. I'm saying to be sure to uninstall the entries for the italicized controllers themselves (so if you removed everything you should have gotten them too)

Universal Serial Bus controllers
Generic USB Hub
Generic USB Hub
Intel(R) 82801DB/DBM USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller - 24CD
Intel(R) 82801DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C2
Intel(R) 82801DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C4
Intel(R) 82801DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C7

USB Composite Device
USB Mass Storage Device
USB Root Hub​

I selected everything under the main usb thing I uninstalled them all. Everything under Universal serial bus controller
Standard Enhanced PCI to usb host controller
Standard openhcd usb host controller
Usb root hub
Usb root hub
All those things I uninstalled. That's everything I saw.

Was this done?

I tried everthing except the virus thing because I already have AVG.

Theirs on last good idea (I just thought of)

Boot from your Windows CD with your USB Mouse & Keyboard plugged in
Does the USB work then?

If so, it's obviously a Windows corruption somewhere

But nothing seems to work, I need help. I tried plugging my psp, usb thumb dive and even my iPhone, yet none of the will sync with my PC because my PC won't recognize an USB device for some reason.
Oh. i may have misread what you stated.

Please do this
click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32
It will take several seconds for a window to appear
Expand Components (click the + sign by it)
Click Problem Devices
Anything appear? if yes, copy/paste it here

/************ Edit ***************/
And did you disconnect all those power cords approach too (for 15 mins. including monitor cable)

^ i'm gonna post the stats now and I did do the 15 minutes thing that's why I didn't respond to quick.

@kimsland windows cd? like do u mean restart windows xp al together? like erase everything? Oh and my usb kb & mouse doesn't work at all. It's like dead when I plug it in, but my speakers on my pc seems to light up when it's in the usb port.

Nothing appeared......It's blank. Also, I just found out my iPod charges when it's plugged in, but my PC can't recognize it so it can't sync. I'm having the same problem with my PSP, thumb drive and iPhone. They charge, but that's it.

do u mean restart windows xp al together? like erase everything?
No

Just go to like the Recovery console using your USB keyboard

Actually I thought of an even better test, go to CMOS settings to see if your USB keyboard works
Also confirm USB is enabled everywhere in there

^ Okay, but I'm gonna have to unhook the keyboard i'm using now(tradition kb cuz usb slot isn't recognizing my usb one) to hook up my usb kb.

Actually I thought of an even better test, go to CMOS settings to see if your USB keyboard works
Also confirm USB is enabled everywhere in there
good idea! :)

A couple other things i'll throw in before i calling it a night (just to be certain)
- I'm assuming that when you've rebooted you've had nothing connected to your USB ports? and then tried just connecting one device at a time?
- For each Root Hub you see in device manager
==> Rt click Properties. Under General, should say working properly (since nothing in Problem Devices per previous post)
==> click Power tab, hub is powered? it will allow up to 500ma on powered hubs and show how much still available. If you exceed 500ma the hub is disconnected
===> click Power Management, uncheck any option allowing windows to turn it off

@Kimsland I tried it, but my computer wasn't responding to my usb kb. It just went straight to my desktop. I had to put back in my old kb so I could get back on this site.

good idea! :)

A couple other things i'll throw in before i calling it a night (just to be certain)
- I'm assuming that when you've rebooted you've had nothing connected to your USB ports? and then tried just connecting one device at a time?
- For each Root Hub you see in device manager
==> Rt click Properties. Under General, should say working properly (since nothing in Problem Devices per previous post)
==> click Power tab, hub is powered? it will allow up to 500ma on powered hubs and show how much still available. If you exceed 500ma the hub is disconnected
===> click Power Management, uncheck any option allowing windows to turn it off

1.Yep not one usb device was connected(ethernet cables don't count right?)
Ok I did all that do I restart my pc?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back