PC freezing

PureLycian22

Hi so I am a Twitch streamer and I have been having a problem with my desktop. It has been freezing sometimes when I have multiple things going on because that’s what I need to do when streaming. Honestly I have no idea what to do I spent like $1000.000 on this pc and 1 year later this happens. This happened after I upgraded to windows 10 so I reverted back to windows 8 but it’s still happening. I don’t have the specs on my pc right now but can give them later after work.

Probably NOT the OS. I have found added RAM, defrag HDD, TRIM on SSD and updated drivers can 'fix' this kind of problem. It could be a recent change in one of your programs which is now conflicting with others. Start from top of list and work down step by step.

Maintenance:
- defragment HDD and test with manufacturer's utility
- use manufacturer's utility on SSD (enable TRIM)
- vacuum out dust bunnies
- confirm full proper operation of cooling system
- remove and reconnect connectors after checking condition (loose or slight corrosion can really mess you up)

Review Load
- add second monitor and run Task Manager (or Afterburner or whatever) in second screen
- run regular streaming configuration and replicate glitching condition
- check for bottlenecks (>95% in memory, network, etc)
- address any bottlenecks in hardware or software

RAM
- time to thoroughly test RAM - overnight continuous test - memtest86

Temperatures
- run utility in second monitor
- load and run programs
- compare peak temps to desired maximum peak (like 65C for CPU and 75C for GPU - varies by model)
- replace thermal interface paste - CPU GPU

I’m sorry, I’m not exactly sure how to do all the tech stuff I can do things like opening it up and checking for dust making sure the air cooling is good and all but not the things you gotta do on the hardware. Is it possible to go into more detail on how to do the rest?? Again sorry. I know nothing hahaha.

Probably NOT the OS. I have found added RAM, defrag HDD, TRIM on SSD and updated drivers can 'fix' this kind of problem. It could be a recent change in one of your programs which is now conflicting with others. Start from top of list and work down step by step.

Maintenance:
- defragment HDD and test with manufacturer's utility
- use manufacturer's utility on SSD (enable TRIM)
- remove and reconnect connectors after checking condition (loose or slight corrosion can really mess you up)

Review Load
- add second monitor and run Task Manager (or Afterburner or whatever) in second screen

RAM

Temperatures
- run utility in second monitor
- load and run programs
- compare peak temps to desired maximum peak (like 65C for CPU and 75C for GPU - varies by model)
- replace thermal interface paste - CPU GPU

I’m sorry, I’m not exactly sure how to do all the tech stuff I can do things like opening it up and checking for dust making sure the air cooling is good and all but not the things you gotta do on the hardware. Is it possible to go into more detail on how to do the rest?? Again sorry. I know nothing hahaha.

Hi @Cycloid Torus will reply latter. Are you going to stay with W8 or are you going to upgrade back to W10.
Here's link from Lifewire for free Hard drive testers. I like seagate sea tools .https://www.lifewire.com/free-hard-drive-testing-programs-2626183
Here's link for Memtest86. https://www.memtest86.com/
This will get you started. @Cycloid Torus will help you with the other things latter.;)
Let us know how things go!

I’m planning on going to windows 10 in th future.

I’m planning on going to windows 10 in th future.
Hi you can do the things I posted and upgrade to W10 latter. Those two things will test your RAM and Hard Drive. As stated by @Cycloid Torus, it's probably not your OS. You have to let us know what you're doing; and what you have tried, if we're going to help you!;)

Just 8GB RAM? I bet you need 12GB if not 16 GB.

Try this:

Review Load

RAM

You can do physical maintenance just to be sure

You might also then do a clean install of Windows 10 as this will eliminate all the updates in Windows 8 and eliminate need for defragmenting HDD.

KEY STEP: Back up your data. Gather your licenses and keys.

Do clean install of Windows 10 from ISO media of your choice (a fresh download will usually give a more recent version - and reduce the number of updates). Once installed, check and double check "Check for Updates" to be sure that update history no longer has any updates pending (may need multiple restarts and up to 3 hours to complete this). Check "Activation" to confirm it is.

Just 8GB RAM? I bet you need 12GB if not 16 GB.

Try this:

Review Load

RAM

You can do physical maintenance just to be sure

You might also then do a clean install of Windows 10 as this will eliminate all the updates in Windows 8 and eliminate need for defragmenting HDD.

KEY STEP: Back up your data. Gather your licenses and keys.

Do clean install of Windows 10 from ISO media of your choice (a fresh download will usually give a more recent version - and reduce the number of updates). Once installed, check and double check "Check for Updates" to be sure that update history no longer has any updates pending (may need multiple restarts and up to 3 hours to complete this). Check "Activation" to confirm it is.

Yeah just 8 GB. I don’t have the windows 10 software for upgrading it. I did it through the free upgrade they offered. I don’t know which thing to test so I did the long generic one. The first drive passed but the other one is taking forever to finish. That’s where I am now.

OK, you activated and, I believe (my understanding of the Microsoft small print), you gave up the license on Windows 8 when you did the upgrade and ran Windows 10 as your OS for more than a month.

You also are saying that the machine ran well for months using Win10 before the problem arose.

One day soon, you should do a clean install of Windows 10. The hardware you listed all work with Windows 10. The fall Creators update might give a bit of a glitch or two, but that was usually drivers for video card and webcams - new drivers should be easily available.

OK, you activated and, I believe (my understanding of the Microsoft small print), you gave up the license on Windows 8 when you did the upgrade and ran Windows 10 as your OS for more than a month.

You also are saying that the machine ran well for months using Win10 before the problem arose.

One day soon, you should do a clean install of Windows 10. The hardware you listed all work with Windows 10. The fall Creators update might give a bit of a glitch or two, but that was usually drivers for video card and webcams - new drivers should be easily available.

It was fine for a few months (Windows 10) then it started to freeze. Windows 8 was fantastic.

Hi! As already stated, there are multiple things that cause your PC to freeze. You will have to eliminate these things one at a time.
Post the things you have tried and keep us updated on your progress. Sea gate tool can take a long time to complete on some of the tests, so you need to be patient. As recommended, a clean W10 install is the best windows install, and you may need to do that in the future. That would be the nuclear option and the last thing I would suggest;).
https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000690.htm
PS I'm bowing out now. Let us know how things go!

Okay so I did the Sea tools testing thing and the Hard Drives passed. On to the other ones.
Great! Thanks for the reply. Here's a freeware program I have used. It has good reviews. I have ran it before and my hardware passed. I haven't seen any help forums recommend it. It is mentioned here on techspot. Give it a look and let me know what you think.:D It's another program that might help?
Here's the link. http://www.7byte.com/?page=hotcpu
Here's link from techspot that tells about this free software!
https://www.techspot.com/downloads/3207-hot-cpu-tester.html

Last edited:
Back