PC Gaming Tips: Thirteen hidden Steam features you should know about

Jos

Staff

Like the thousands upon thousands of games it hosts, Steam has secrets.

Steam is, on one hand, a brilliant thing, more feature-rich than just about any other gaming platform on the planet. However, as it’s expanded over the years it’s also taken on an infernal-machine-like quality; it’s become this cacophonous conglomerate of bells and whistles, many of which are buried under other bells and whistles. It’s hard to know everything Steam is capable of, is what I’m saying.

Here are a few lesser-known Steam features I’ve come across, as well as a few others that people have brought up.

Read the complete article.

|- You can add timestamps to the chat to see if someone is ignoring you or is actually actively writing with you.
|- You can add the URL bar on steam and share the things that you find in the store easily with your friends.
|-|- With the URL visible you can also see user profile URLs and check if they are friends or foes (for example via steamrep, separate site, not related to valve).
|- You can see what common friends you have with any given person on steam who has a public profile.

...last but not least, please don't fall for any code or steam wallet scams, also, don't click on any links that anyone sends you.

Steam Libary works like windows explorer
you can install multiplier games by holding down the shift key and right click to install
also works for uninstalling by holding down shift and right click to delete content

I was intentionally trying to use Steam as a verb... like Google. Guess I should give it up :'(

You can make your screenshots not suck. Just select “settings” from the “Steam” drop-down menu in the top left corner, hit the “in-game” tab, and choose “save an uncompressed copy” under screenshots. Goodbye, blurry grossness. (Thanks, Rathorial.)

You can change many Steam settings. Just select "Settings" from the "Steam" drop-down menu in the top left corner. Feel free to look around and discover yourself, what is available. Goodbye, default settings. (Thanks, me.)

|- You can add timestamps to the chat to see if someone is ignoring you or is actually actively writing with you.
I hate it when I actually get some time to play a game and someone starts speaking to me and feeling ignored, it's my play time! Deal with it.

|- You can add the URL bar on steam and share the things that you find in the store easily with your friends.
Or simply right click on the page you are looking and click "Copy URL".

|- With the URL visible you can also see user profile URLs and check if they are friends or foes (for example via steamrep, separate site, not related to valve).
Again, simply right click on the page you are looking (Or profile) and click "Copy URL".

My favorite is the multi-window functionality. Makes looking through lists 10x easier

Back