PC keeps hanging randomly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Markk88

tried everything...are there any antivirus pgms i can run in safe mode? pc hangs randomly, sometimes even in safe mode. win xp + asus p5e3 delux + 3G ocz ddr3 + ati radeon 4870 x2...very bummed...thought it was overheating w/ati card but rivatuner fixes that....did full memory testt with memtest...will go for 3 to 20 mins after boot up then just hang...any way to solve? Please help! Many thanks!

what cpu do you have?
Is it overclocked? If so, is it prime stable?
What size psu do you have? could it be faulty and dropping voltage?

cpu stock not overclocked and speedfan tells me cpu is at 42C and all 4 cores are at or below 52C. I also loose my bios info sometimes when it hangs. Hanging is totally random - anywhere from 3 minutes to an hour after reboot - faster if I am very active. I hang when I try to do a virus scan, for example, otherwise I would do a full system scan. Is there an AV program I can use from safe mode (it has hung from safe mode once as well). very frustrating. Any help much appreciated.

Inte Quad 9450. Anyway to track voltage, or should i try goosing it up a tad with my bios tweaker & see if that solves it?. Many thanks for your help!!

i also bought a new cmos battery and that didn't solve things...so odd that cmos gets partly or fully reset about 1 hang in 10... :(

Hey my brother had the same problem with the asus striker mobo about the same config with yours it would just freeze. The problem was that the mobo has a built overclocking utility that overclocks cpu ram gpu without you knowing. It would just hang like yours. Check your bios settings or the program of your mobo if it has a "optimal" setting or turbo or something like that. Use the lowest config then see if it's going to hang. I think my brother gave the computer back to the shop 3 times before they figured that out. Try that and I will talk to my brother by tomorrow and let you know if there's something more.

The asus boards don't use the AI as default. You have to configure it that way.
Plus he did say that the bios resets itself so it should default back to factory settings anyway.
It is worth checking though, as its obviously behaving erratically and you never know.... :)

Coiuld be just a faulty board that needs RMA'ing.

Well my brother's mobo had a mind of it's own as it was set to use the AI, who set the mobo that way we don't know. Maybe the tech guy who installed vista on his pc thought it's a good idea to "push" it a little bit more to get some extra juice :) .

Papaki - very strong advice. That seems to have done it. I will add that I had a very long - and incredibly helpful - conversation with the folks at OCZ when I first got my new ASUS p5e3 b/c it wouldn't startup/post, and he said the fast (1800) ddr3 I optimistically bought was essentially TOO fast. He went on to add that none of the mobos out yet can do justice to fast rarm with quadcore cpus. I have solved my problem by DOWNCLOCKING my ram to 1200...sort of a bummer. It FELT like a ram problem...I actually got not one but 2 bad ram sticks from OCZ, but they were great about replacing (lifetime warranty) and also hooked me up with a great routine for ruling out RAM as a source of problems: MEMTEST (you burn it to a cd, then you just reboot and it hums along checking every nook & cranny of your ram). Anyway, the RAM was coming up good, but the hanging behavior was so random. Thanks again for the suggestion. I was truly stuck.

PS - I'll also add that the "AI Suite" Software that Asus supplies seems like a load of junk...tweaking needs to be done at the bios level and these guis that let you do it at the windows level are just asking for trouble. I've also had my system hang at least a hundred times tying to even INSTALL a lot of asus' AI software packages. Really lame support on the driver/website end of things at ASUS.

yeah, i agree, the Asus nios AI is ok, but the windows stuff is garbage. Mine always hangs just looking for a bios update. Even Gigabyte EasyTune crashes my other rigs.

Stick to bios tweaking for the win!

Oh....good point papaki, glad it helpd Markk88 out! :)

Hi Papaki - well, I'm sad to report that I am STILL getting random hangs - much less frequent at the lower speeds (downclocked the 9450 from 2.66 to 2.4, and 1800 ddr3 down to 1200). Still get a random hang of about once every 6 to 8 hours of continuous use. I've got a god-awful amount of stuff installed on this rig, so I wouldn't know where to begin in terms of conflicts, except that I did have a hang in SAFE mode once, so I'm pretty sure its not drivers head-butting. I'd swap out the mobo if it wouldn't take me off line for 3 days and risk having to regen if things don't go smoothly....Maybe time for an upgrade to Vista? Though that still wouldn't solve a hardware problem...although it might if its NOT a hardware problem I have...

Hi Papaki - well, I'm sad to report that I am STILL getting random hangs - much less frequent at the lower speeds (downclocked the 9450 from 2.66 to 2.4, and 1800 ddr3 down to 1200). Still get a random hang of about once every 6 to 8 hours of continuous use. I've got a god-awful amount of stuff installed on this rig, so I wouldn't know where to begin in terms of conflicts, except that I did have a hang in SAFE mode once, so I'm pretty sure its not drivers head-butting. I'd swap out the mobo if it wouldn't take me off line for 3 days and risk having to regen if things don't go smoothly....Maybe time for an upgrade to Vista? Though that still wouldn't solve a hardware problem...although it might if its NOT a hardware problem I have...

Seeing as you've cycled down your overclock, thus reducing voltage which helped, i'd look to changing the psu (cheapest option really). A standard 500w installed and running for a couple of days will help prove that. If it doesn't bomb out, then you could always go buy a good quality psu, having only shelled out a few £s/$s on a cheap test one.
If it still bombs out it could be hdd OR still be your mobo.
Its also still possible for it to be software related but i doubt it at this stage.
Thing is the more it hangs/crashes the more the heads on the hard drive smash down onto the magnetic layer (because they haven't been parked), thus adding damage......

To k.jacko - Thanks for the suggestions. I have a 1,000 Corsair psu already. the hdd angle is interesting. Wouldn't checkdsk find a problem like that? What about an image backup/reformat/restore from my boot drive (which is a a RAID 0 pair of 75G(?) raptors) ? The mobo is looking increasingly suspect. A last question - I'm running with 3 sticks of OCZ 1800 ddr3 - they check out fine. Anything inherently funky about running 3 sticks (3G)... I suspect most people run with either 2 or 4.
Thanks again...many thanks!

3 sticks is ok mate tbh. Depending on your mobo dual channel may be disabled due to running 3 and not 2 or 4, but that's no biggie really Some folk prefer more ram running slightly slower than less ram running slighty faster.
So you're striping your data eh? Lol, thats the first time you've mentioned that, and depending on how sensitive your raid controller is may have a bearing on it, i'm not really familiar with the p5e3 boards, but if either drives fail you're screwed, you know that right? Have you checked for any raid errors in the event logs?
Certainly back your up system now!
Options i'd try:
1. Rebuild your array.
2. Still crashing? reinstall a single hdd (none of your raided ones)
3. RMA the damned mobo :)
4. Await Rages' input :p

How can I check the error logs for the drives and what should I be looking for? Is there any other way to spot errors? I sort of like the speed / performance bump I get from the raid 0, and I back my stuff up regularly. Thanks again for your help.

Lol, go to no.4 on my checklist! :p

Like i said i'm not familiar with your board, so wouldn't know where to start for your raid, i was just suggesting general pointers.

You could however check the event viewer anyway for any clues as to why it crashes, if there are any.

Right click 'My Computer' > Management > Event Viewer.... run through the application and system logs to see if an event was triggered by the crash.

Markk88 can you write your system specs on your profile so that we know what hardware you are using?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back