PC keeps switching off

Here's my problem - my pc switches off after about 3 hours and will not restart unless I remove the power lead and then it will restart after around 3/4 hours. What's going on?

Not overheating. I have a core temp app and it is operating within temp parameters. All fans are working and I even put an extra stand alone fan inside to help. I was talking to a guy and he mentioned static build up. is this a possibility and if so what can I do about it?

Yes, bad grounding at the electrical wall outlet can do this - test ground at the outlet. But, that usually does not include a 45 minute power down to restart. I would think a PSU issue might be more likely. Do you have a spare PSU you can try?

Other than that, we would need more details and you will need to follow a troubleshooting tree. Lots of folks remove most components until they have a stable system - and then they add parts back one by one until there is a failure. Other issues can be failing RAM, bad capacitors somewhere and power conditioning on mainboard or video card

Your problem does not look easy to solve.

Yes, bad grounding at the electrical wall outlet can do this - test ground at the outlet. But, that usually does not include a 45 minute power down to restart. I would think a PSU issue might be more likely. Do you have a spare PSU you can try?

I would blame his mobo first, he could find the cmos jmp (jumper) on the mobo.
Move it to the next 2 pins with tweezers, he doesn't need to squeeze much or he will ruin the jumper.
Then he could unplug the cord for about 15 minutes..
Next you ask him to put the white cmos jumper back to the original position.
Plug the cord back in and power it on, if his mobo moves easily or he hears screws in there.
That could be the issue making his pc stay off, make sure its on the mounting pegs.
Not too tight not too loose but snug, make sure the video card is not loose or put on incorrectly.
If so you will have a long day or night trying to set it up correctly and getting the mobo to boot properly.
If it happens again after you tried a jumper cmos reset.
Its time to call the mobo manufacturer for rma support and 2 week wait.
@Shuggy P give cycloid your pc specs next time you come back.
http://download.cpuid.com/cpu-z/cpu-z_1.86-en.exe

I highly doubt his pc is too powerful with a regular wall outlet. =/
If the psu is faulty maybe a psu tester could test the voltages to prove you're point easily.

Back