PC powers on but doesn't boot - no POST

Status
Not open for further replies.

amaru96

Hi guys, having a rather odd and frustrating problem.

I purchased a new CPU cooler and had to remove the MB to fit it. Everything went fine but when I plugged it all back in the PC powered on, fans and drives started spining but nothing displayed on the monitor (no error beeps either). After a bit of screwing around I figured I damaged the MB while removing/fitting the cooler so I went down the road and bought a new MB. Went through the install process of fitting the new board, but once again same problem! Power but no display, monitor light just blinks.

I tried a different PSU, RAM and video card but nothing helped.

The only thing I haven't changed is the CPU (don't have a spare). Could the CPU be fried? I don't see any scorch marks or smell anything. When I insert the CPU without the heatsink I can feel it get hot and then cools when I power the PC down (only did for 10 seconds so I don't really fry the CPU). To me this "indicates" that the CPU is ok, or will the CPU continue to heat even if it's dead?

Any suggestions/ideas?

Oh, one odd thing I noticed immediately after fitting the cooler in the original MB was after I powered the PC on the DVD drive made a strange sound and the light blinked. I pushed the eject button but it only came out half way and then went back in. Never seen that before.

Have your tried a new MB? maybe somehow if broke something in it. i don't really think your cpu is dead, i have had old processors that i bent pins and dropped and spun around but they still worked when i built older system for family * pins were bent back straight just so everyone know* i would think that something is wrong with your motherboard but thats just me i could be completely wrong. hope you find the problem though

Hi brotheryang17, in my first paragraph I explain that I purchased a new MB.

I have replaced everything except the CPU. I find it hard to believe the CPU is dead but don't know what else to try.

oh sorry i missed that, You could call your cpu maker and they might send out a new one or you could take it to a hardware store and have it tested to figure out if thats the problem. only other thing i could think of would be something within the bios thats causing it not to post but again i just got into this thing not to long ago so i might be wrong

Take a look at Tutorial: No POST (Power On Self Test

I can see anything else it could be apart from the CPU as there's nothing left.
Just check to make sure its not grounding on anything in the case.
Seeing as though you have a new mobo just check to make sure the CPU is seated and then i think you may have to look into replacing it.

Hi rev_oli, thanks for the reply.

Last night I was on the MSI website having a read through the new MB I purchased to see if there was some extra information I may have missed and noticed the "CPU Support" list. I had a read through and my CPU is not specifically listed. Didn't even cross my mind that my CPU may not be supported as it's a dual core 3GHZ processor. I guess I assumed because it's a socket 775 it should work. Do you know if the CPU must be listed in the CPU support list?

If the problem is the "CPU support" then it doesn't explain why it doesn't work when I put everything back in the original MB (unless of course I damaged it while fitting the cooler).

What a mess!

if you applied too much force to the CPU, it very well could be damaged. (cracked die)

PC powers on but doesen't boost

Sorry, can't help - I've just done exactly the same thing. The fan was supposed to be easy to instal, but now the PC just doesn't do anything. The fans spin, that's all. Hope to find the solution here. I fitted the cpu fan myself thinking it would be an easy job, and it would save me time...wrong decision. That'll teach me to read the box a product comes in!

I do believe that if its not listed then it wont work.
Can you provide me with the links for the CPU and MOBO. I will take a look then for you and may hopefully give you a solid answer.

The MB is an MSI P43: h++p://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=proddesc&maincat_no=1&cat2_no=&cat3_no=&prod_no=1484

CPU is an Intel SL9CB: h++p://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SL9CB

Had to remove the links as I don't have enough posts (hence the h++p).

Looking into it, it seems that your CPU wont work with your mobo. Sorry to say.

It seems weird that it supposts other SL chips but not yours. I beleiv you will have to look into a new mobo or change the CPU.
Depending on which you got first i would get you money back for that one.

ThompsonC,
Sorry i missed your post up there.
Can you make a new thread in the forum so as not to get the posts mixed up. I would follow the NO POST instructions above especially the resetting the CMOS.

Figured you were going to say that. Do you by any chance know which MB will accept my CPU? Or where I could go to look for it?

I'll do some searching and see if I can find anything.

Appreciate your help.

I'm still a little baffled as to why it doesn't work in the original MB....unless of course I damaged it somehow.

All very frustrating, but thanks.

Hmmm before you do about getting new parts read this:

Intel® EM64T requires a computer system with a processor, chipset, BIOS, operating system, device drivers and applications enabled for Intel EM64T. Processor will not operate (including 32-bit operation) without an Intel EM64T-enabled BIOS. Performance will vary depending on your hardware and software configurations

So you CPU possibly will work with your mobo but this EM64T isn't there.
There was a link on the Intel page http://www.intel.com/info/em64t but it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense to me.

So if you give me some time I'll take another look at this...it may well work overall.

Sorry rev, couldn't wait any longer. I purchased a CPU from a friend which is compatible with the MB and everything works now.

Appreciate your time and effort. Thanks.

amaru96,

I very sorry about the wait. A reply was added about 4 hours after i made the last reply but for some reason its never shown :S.

Anyhow this is what the post said

Hi again,
Ive had another look and i still don't understand about how to set up the EM64T I'm afraid.
Do you have another CPU you could try?
I just don't think it likes it for some reason or another but the rest of the hardware seems fine so I'm sure a replacement to the spec list would work.
Post back if you get one

Weird...any how nice to hear its all working and I'm sorry about the reply not getting through.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back