PC resolution output issue

Deshra

My wife's pc when she first hooked it up via dvi she was able to get 1080P but when she got an hdmi ( one that came with my new monitor lol) she can't get higher than 720P, any ideas how to up her resolution? She switched to hdmi so she could get sound from her TV she is using as a monitor. I didnt need the HDMI for mine even though my monitor has built in speakers I have usb speakers I prefer to use for movies, and I have turtle beach px5's I use for gaming. I digress how do we fix her resoultion issue?

You're gonna have to use the built-in TV settings to change from 720p to 1080p. 720p is generally the more common resolution than full 1080 so the TV may have defaulted to it when you switched over from DVI.

Hmm, it would be helpful to know the make and model of said TV... just for reference purposes.

Dynex 15" DX-15E220A12 I have seen other posts online where people have had similar issues.

then why does her ps3 output in 1080p ? also why did it output in 1080p through dvi?

your PS3 outputs 1080p but your TV probably downscales it to 720p.

Fixed-pixel displays follow a few basic rules:
No matter the resolution of the source material, whether VHS, DVD, or HDTV, a fixed-pixel display will always convert, or scale, it to fit its native resolution.

If the incoming source has more pixels than the display's native resolution, you will lose some visible detail and sharpness, though often what you're left with still looks great. If the incoming source has fewer pixels than the native resolution, you're not getting any extra sharpness from the television's pixels.

If the incoming signal matches the native resolution of the display exactly,such as when a 1080p HDTV displays a 1080i HDTV channel or a 1080p signalfrom a Blu-ray player, no scaling occurs as long as the TV is set to the proper aspect ratio mode, typically called "dot-by-dot," "native," or "1:1." Ideally, you always want to match the source resolution to the display's native resolution, to minimize picture anomalies that can be caused by scaling.

Back