PC running XP won't power on after changing power management settings

Status
Not open for further replies.
My PC would not stay in standby mode, and I'd read to change the power management settings on my network adapter. After doing so and putting the computer in standby, it completely shut down and will not power on. The green light on the back of the PC is flashing. The monitor is powered on, so I know it's not my surge protector or outlet. I can't believe it would be a faulty power supply or a faulty power button because it happened the instant I changed the power management settings and put it in standby mode.

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!

what does the green light on the back of the computer indicate, is that the network adapter?

if your power supply has a switch on the back shut it down and then turn it on or unplug the cord, then try turning the computer on again.

what does the green light on the back of the computer indicate, is that the network adapter?

if your power supply has a switch on the back shut it down and then turn it on or unplug the cord, then try turning the computer on again.

The green light must indicate the network adapter as it's still flashing even when the pc is completely unplugged. There is no other power switch and plugging it back in didn't help.

Any ideas?

hmm, i would recommend letting the PSU discharge (you may hear a faint whine) and check the light again, either that or the indicator is running off the CMOS battery. speaking of the battery, does your motherboard feature a "clear CMOS" jumper? if not, you can reset the BIOS settings by pulling the small battery out for 15 or so seconds. i'd recommend trying another PSU if you had one, which would certainly help rule out a possibly faulty unit. you could also try disconnecting all USB devices since some motherboards feature wake-up functionality w/ USB mice and keyboards etc...

it's certainly strange that the computer will not even turn on... no fans or anything? i suppose a bad ground couldn't be the cause since you've been using the system normally. what model computer are we looking at here, or is it a custom build?

No USB or any other peripherals are plugged in but the monitor. The green light is still flashing and it makes a very faint ticking sound. It's an HP m7160n. I have no idea what a "clear CMOS" jumper is. :(

eh sorry, it's basically a little header on the motherboard with 3 pins and a jumper which connects two of the pins... my guess is you don't have one so i wouldn't worry about it.

unfortunately, the easiest way to diagnose the actual problem here is to test the power supply in another computer or vice versa. replacements aren't that expensive either so if you were forced to buy a new one my guess is it would be under $60. i have to admit i don't understand why the computer won't power on but it def sounds like the power supply or motherboard itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back