PC slow and nonstop freezing

Hey there, I just started having a strange problem 2 days ago. After playing closing a game and opening firefox, my pc started frequently freezing for about 1-2 minutes at a time. No matter what program I open or what I click it will freeze for a minute and run very slow. It just did this randomly out of nowhere I don't know what could have caused it.

I have tried virus scans, ccleaner, disk defragment, deleting temp files but still poblem exists.

When I run in safe mode it doesn't freeze but it runs extremely slow. And also for some reason I have no restore points in system restore also.

I have windows XP.

The strangest thing though is that I tried running a game and the game runs just fine. I ran counterstrike at full frames without any lag or freezing for a good 30 minutes but once I close it everything else still freezes.

It is almost impossible to use the computer like this I had to post this on my iPod because it was too slow. I am starting school this Friday and have online classes so I really need some help! Thanks in advance.

What are the specs of this XP computer, and what antivirus and temp file program are you using?

It is an emachines T5212.

Intel pentium d 805 2.66ghz CPU

2 gb single-channel ddr2 @ 332mhz

195gb hitachi hdd

Geforce 8800gs 384 mb

OS windows xp home 32 bit sp3

Virus checkers I used were Avira and SUPERAntiSpyware both free editions.

I'm not sure what you mean temp file thing I just manually deleted the temp files.

I also have HiJackThis installed but I don't know how to use it and I havent messed with it yet.

Oh and I don't know if it matters but when it freezes I can still move the mouse pointer around, I just can't click or do anything until it unfreezes.

I watched the video and I looked pretty thoroughly around the CPU and the motherboard and didn't see anything like that. It actually wasn't even very dusty surprisingly, I expected it to be clogged with dust. This computer was sitting in garage for years it hasn't been used very much just a few months since I took it out and it's worked fine.

It kind of seems to me like it can't be a hardware problem because games all run fine. I tried fallout new vegas yesterday, it froze up a little at first but afterthat it ran fine no freezing for a good 40 minutes til I got bored.

I put a different harddrive I borrowed from somebody and it works fine in there. It can't be the power supply or hardware problem unless its the harddrive itself.

You might try re-loading XP fresh... Some piece of hardware might fail right after or during this process

It is never a wise thing to remove installed Windows Updates manually... A clean Windows install will take care or reveal problems in all these issues as I have said

Back