PC slows and crashes

Conger88

Hi,

I have had this issue for a long time now on my PC and because a restart resolves it I never really decided to try and fix it. Basically my computer when I boot up in the morning say. It loads up, everything starts then slowly I hear this like crackling sound if itunes is playing for example and it gets worse as time goes by and I am forced to restart before the computer freezes totaly.

Then once I do the restart and log in again I dont have the problem again. Until the next time the computer is turned off for a period and then booted.

Its weird its like my computer needs to be warmed up before being used! And requires two starts in order to run.

Has anyone come across this issue before? Just deciding to log this as you were able to solve my last issue,

I am not on the problem machine at the moment but I should be able to provide all info.

Any help would be gratefull,

Thanks

C

This may be caused by a failing power supply. What are the complete specs of this computer?

If it is a failing power supply then why does it boot and keep running fine on second attempt?

Umm I can post the full details later. What information do you need? OS Windows 7

Lets take first things first. Computer Specs like make and model? Is it from a store or is it home built?

Its from store, PC world. I actually will need to check when I get home as I am getting confused with my lambchop(laptop) specs.

Will post when I get home

Okay, it is a laptop... Good, not a power supply problem. Maybe a dying or corrupt hard drive problem now

"I was just getting confused.." Me too:( Give us the make and model of this desktop PC when you get home

Ok just home and on my desktop now. (first boot up, so it is likely to slow freeze and crash after a period of time)
Computer specs
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8300 @ 2.50GHz
Installed Ram: 6.00 GB
System type: 64bit OS

You need more information?

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name ########-PC
System Manufacturer Packard Bell
System Model ixtreme M5722
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8300 @ 2.50GHz, 2499 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. P01-A1, 31/08/2009
SMBIOS Version 2.6
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale Ireland
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
User Name ###########
Time Zone GMT Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 6.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 6.00 GB
Available Physical Memory 2.86 GB
Total Virtual Memory 12.0 GB
Available Virtual Memory 7.60 GB
Page File Space 6.00 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Okay, go to Computer. Right-click on the C drive, select Properties, tools, check now. Put a check mark in both boxes to set a disk check on the next start up. Let the disk check finish and see if your computer runs better after doing this

Ok I will try that now, but I wont know if it is fixed until maybe tmro morning when I try and boot machine again and test if it freezes or not.

Also after the machine crashes, if I let it just get slower and slower and eventually freeze the machine restarts itself, when I log in it then displays this message.

Windows has recovered from an unexpected shutdown.
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 6153

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 124
BCP1: 0000000000000000
BCP2: FFFFFA8006B0D038
BCP3: 0000000000000000
BCP4: 0000000000000000
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\010814-38937-01.dmp
C:\Users\Conor\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-5294221-0.sysdata.xml

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

This might help identify the problem?

Thanks,

C

What you just posted shows me that there was a minidump produced but I have no access to it. Go to C:\windows\minidump. Minidump files have a .dmp extension. Select all the .dmp files. Right-click sending them to a compressed(zipped)folder. Upload this folder as a file here

The minidump is not flagging anything so we must take a guess and say power supply at this point...

Ok. So my next question would be... How do I resolve it? It might be fixed from what we tried in previous step? I will not be able to test until this afternoon

Okay, go to Computer. Right-click on the C drive, select Properties, tools, check now. Put a check mark in both boxes to set a disk check on the next start up. Let the disk check finish and see if your computer runs better after doing this
This is the next step

Ok I have done these steps twice now and my computer still slows and freezes after a few minutes after logging in. Is it definetly a power supply issue? Do you have any other suggestions to fix?

Pull the memory sticks, swap their positions and re-install them. How clean is the inside of this Packard Bell PC?

To Reinstall them would I need the installation disk? Or would I be able to just reinstall from boot up?

The machine should be relatively clean, I opened the box and hovered any dust etc that had gathered but it should be clean. Could this cause the issue?

C

No you just swap the memory stick positions with the power off and then boot the computer normally...

I have done this but problem appears to still remain, I get like a fuzzy static sound coming through the speakers and eventually slows and computer requires a reboot and then on second boot up it runs smoothly. any other suggestions?

I opened the side caseing and hovered what I could from inside, there appears to be only one fan and it is working fine, I have left the side case open to see if that would help but problem still remains. But even if the dust was causeing the issue would that not mean I would have the problem every time I boot up?

C

Back