PC stops output randomly

Will35

Hello everyone,
I've been encountering a problem recently where every now and again my pc will seemingly suddenly stop outputting video. Fans keep running and lights on keyboard, mouse and motherboard remain lit but no video output. I have to turn my pc off via the power button (which is also still lit up) and restart it every time this happens, which is beginning to concern me. I have a second hand rx 570 4gb and have made sure all cables are well secured.
Any help is much appreciated

I like to check "Reliability History" first. The details disclosed by error reports can be really helpful. Enter 'reliability' in search box - and let us know what you find.

I like to check "Reliability History" first. The details disclosed by error reports can be really helpful. Enter 'reliability' in search box - and let us know what you find.
Errr... That sounds like a good thing to try but now that you mention it my search bar does not actually work. When I click into it it freezes for a second then closes, sometimes the white bar itself vanishes after closing... I don't suppose you have any advice? (I've already scanned for malware using malwarebytes)

Right click on taskbar and check Taskbar settings (list bottom) and use Search (2nd or 3rd on list - check settings there too)

Right click on taskbar and check Taskbar settings (list bottom) and use Search (2nd or 3rd on list - check settings there too)
I've gone into reliability history and that seems to have been the place to go. I have a small regiment of "Search and Cortana application stopped working"s and three "Windows hardware error"s
The search errors all read" faulting application path" [insert the presumably default application path leading to searchui.exe here]
The hardware errors read "livekernelevent" as the problem event name with error code 144.
Should I send pictures of the full error codes, paths and information?

While you can send pictures and we can certainly look at them and suggest a few things (which sometimes work), the best path is for you to work through the reports, searching internet for other folks ideas and solutions. Try to locate a root cause - which is probably a corrupt driver or a bad or missing update.

I have found this article useful: https://lifehacker.com/how-to-troubleshoot-windows-10-with-reliability-monitor-1745624446

And this one too: https://www.howtogeek.com/166911/re...windows-troubleshooting-tool-you-arent-using/

While you can send pictures and we can certainly look at them and suggest a few things (which sometimes work), the best path is for you to work through the reports, searching internet for other folks ideas and solutions. Try to locate a root cause - which is probably a corrupt driver or a bad or missing update.

I have found this article useful: https://lifehacker.com/how-to-troubleshoot-windows-10-with-reliability-monitor-1745624446

And this one too: https://www.howtogeek.com/166911/re...windows-troubleshooting-tool-you-arent-using/
As you suggested I have looked into it further and the only hints I have found point towards a corrupted windows profile, which could be fixed by removing and re-adding the profile. I thus removed and re-added the profile and windows search now works again! Hopefully that will also fix the unexpected shutdowns. If it occurs again I will be sure to return :)

Not wishing to add issues, but must raise question - what caused corruption? Bad update? power outage? failing HDD?

Make good backups.

Not wishing to add issues, but must raise question - what caused corruption? Bad update? power outage? failing HDD?

Make good backups.
As far as I know everything is as it should be. I have my suspicions of a program that may have caused the search issue. As for the unexpected output losses it may be either due to the suspected corruption, or possibly a slightly faulty second hand known good rx 570. I am unaware of any tools for checking the integrity of a graphics card and so I guess the mystery must go unsolved. I will be back with more information if it occurs again, thanks for the help :)

Make good backups.
Okay, unfortunately it has occurred again. A crucial thing that I got mixed up about is that peripherals do not receive power when it occurs, but most of the system lights and fans still operate. I have my suspicions that it may be a power supply issue, as to me the signs point to it - no video output from power hungry graphics card, peripherals stop receiving power, but most system fans and leds still light up. Windows reliability monitor displays no errors but the improperly shut down one, which I assume comes from being forced to use the power button to restart the pc. Is there any easier way to fix this when it occurs, or verify the integrity of my power supply? (self built pc) Many thanks for your help.

Which peripherals specifically go dead?

Absence of software error means greater likelihood of hardware error. Examine power supply label - how many 12v rails? (a crowded rail can be an issue with older PSUs, especially when they are split in 2 or even 3) What is available on the P6 and P8 to support the rx570?

Do an inventory and calculate power use ( https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator ).

If it is a power problem, it could be very hard to determine because it could be PSU, GPU, motherboard or RAM - a failing Voltage Regulator (of which there are many on a modern system) or its related filtering device (capacitor). Best RAM test is to remove all but one stick and see if it runs 'ok', then try another stick, etc. GPU, if satisfied that power is sufficient is tested by putting it in another system and see if it runs 'ok'. Motherboard VR issue is much harder to track, but is sometimes more likely the culprit if introduction of extra cooling allows system to function without error.

Clean system and then examine all components under strong light and magnifier. Loose heatsink? Bulging capacitor? Brown residue on a VR chip?

Any correlative event with the crash? I had one years ago - a system which died when the secretary walked by, but that's another story.

No easy answer.... make your backups.

Which peripherals specifically go dead?

Absence of software error means greater likelihood of hardware error. Examine power supply label - how many 12v rails? (a crowded rail can be an issue with older PSUs, especially when they are split in 2 or even 3) What is available on the P6 and P8 to support the rx570?

Do an inventory and calculate power use ( https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator ).

If it is a power problem, it could be very hard to determine because it could be PSU, GPU, motherboard or RAM - a failing Voltage Regulator (of which there are many on a modern system) or its related filtering device (capacitor). Best RAM test is to remove all but one stick and see if it runs 'ok', then try another stick, etc. GPU, if satisfied that power is sufficient is tested by putting it in another system and see if it runs 'ok'. Motherboard VR issue is much harder to track, but is sometimes more likely the culprit if introduction of extra cooling allows system to function without error.

Clean system and then examine all components under strong light and magnifier. Loose heatsink? Bulging capacitor? Brown residue on a VR chip?

Any correlative event with the crash? I had one years ago - a system which died when the secretary walked by, but that's another story.

No easy answer.... make your backups.
So everything seems to be in order, but when I checked the underside of the computer I discovered a small layer of dust on the dust protector for the PSU's intake fan. I cleared it off, but the semi-shutdown issue still occurs occasionally, as before. Is it possible that some dust could have entered the Psu and be causing it to malfunction?

Small layer of dust - no, not likely. If fan is intake, the only possible way would be shredded aluminum foil from those Hershey's Kisses.... (kidding).

Did you pull the rx 570 and look it over carefully? Any signs? Loose heatsink?

Small layer of dust - no, not likely. If fan is intake, the only possible way would be shredded aluminum foil from those Hershey's Kisses.... (kidding).

Did you pull the rx 570 and look it over carefully? Any signs? Loose heatsink?
Sorry for the late reply, in this time I have managed to get my pc cleared by that fine man in the malware forum section, there doesn't appear to be anything wrong with my rx 570, and as my keyboard and mouse receive no power, it doesn't seem to be the graphics card at fault. However, recently I have not had the problem occur at all during general use, only on and in the immediate moments after startup. Once again, force shutting down and turning on again fixes my pc

Issue is now limited to failure of keyboard and mouse to come on when there is a 'cold boot' start. This malfunction is overcome by forcing a restart. This sounds like a voltage regulation issue which most likely would be motherboard (where a lot of VR is done) or then again the PSU - a weak chip, a corroded lead, a bad connector, too much draw on start. Since it seems limited to the USB, it might be an issue in the keyboard/mouse.

You might consider continuing to pursue this as unexpected shutdowns can corrupt files - giving you more headaches.

Keep careful notes and make a few slight changes to see if the cause becomes apparent:
- Change USB port connections for mouse/keyboard
- Try different mouse/keyboard
- Monitor all fans on start
- Check reliability history after each malfunction
- Check device manager for any errors - especially USB
- Uninstall and remove USB devices and Root Hubs, then reboot for system to update and reinstall what it discovers

See this article for more ideas: https://appuals.com/fix-usb-mouse-keyboard-not-working-windows-10/

Keep good backups.

Issue is now limited to failure of keyboard and mouse to come on when there is a 'cold boot' start. This malfunction is overcome by forcing a restart. This sounds like a voltage regulation issue which most likely would be motherboard (where a lot of VR is done) or then again the PSU - a weak chip, a corroded lead, a bad connector, too much draw on start. Since it seems limited to the USB, it might be an issue in the keyboard/mouse.

You might consider continuing to pursue this as unexpected shutdowns can corrupt files - giving you more headaches.

Keep careful notes and make a few slight changes to see if the cause becomes apparent:
- Change USB port connections for mouse/keyboard
- Try different mouse/keyboard
- Monitor all fans on start
- Check reliability history after each malfunction
- Check device manager for any errors - especially USB
- Uninstall and remove USB devices and Root Hubs, then reboot for system to update and reinstall what it discovers

See this article for more ideas: https://appuals.com/fix-usb-mouse-keyboard-not-working-windows-10/

Keep good backups.
Thank you very much for your help. It seems to me that this has gone beyond the level of techspot troubleshooting and so before leaving this thread behind I wanted to know if you know of any better ways of shutting down/restarting my pc when this happens, as file corruption would be a serious issue to me. Thanks again for your help

Back