PC takes top spot at E3 for most games confirmed

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member

During the chaos that defines E3, it is easy to get lost in the demos, trailers, and hype of the multitude of big titles coming down the pipe. It is usually not until E3 is well over that we have time to sit down and process what we saw. One question that inevitably comes up after E3 is, how many games were confirmed for each platform?

With the rise in popularity of console gaming, we have seen a sharp increase in the number of titles coming out on consoles, even surpassing PC titles in the past few years. Console exclusive titles have ended up edging out the PC in past E3s. For example, at E3 2016, PlayStation had 32 exclusive titles confirmed, Xbox had eight, and PC had only three games that were available exclusively.

This year, PS4's showing was not as impressive as last year at only 15 exclusive titles, but according to GameCrate, the PC had the most games in total (exclusive and shared) at E3. The PS4 and XB1 had 47 and 43 titles shown respectively, while a total of 53 titles were confirmed for PC. The reason that PC had the most games this year is thanks to Microsoft sharing Xbox One exclusives with Windows 10 PCs.

"All in all, It looks like the PC should be the platform of choice for those interested in accessing the widest array of big games in the coming year and beyond."

Like the PS4, the Xbox One had 15 would-be exclusive titles at this year's show. However, those games were not truly exclusive to Xbox since all of them will be made available on Windows 10. Add to those shared exclusives, games that will be PC-only like Total War: Warhammer 2, Griftlands, and Battletech, and it is easy to see how the PC pulled ahead of both consoles this year in total game offerings.

The PC will always have its own exclusive titles as will PlayStation 4, but with Microsoft giving up Xbox One exclusivity to share with Windows 10, it looks like the PC master race, will remain on the top of the pile in the variety of games offered each year.

Permalink to story.

Unless you dislike the games.
That shouldn't be an issue. Forza Motorsport 7 alone is enough to get wet over. Then there are the AAA non-exclusives like Assassin's Creed Origins, Destiny 2, Marvel Vs. Capcom Infinite, and Battlefront 2. There is going to be plenty for everyone's tastes.

Bought my first Apple in 1979 and while I have had more than a few laptops, games machines and the like, the PC still rules the computing universe. Of course if you're watching that TV show in PBS called "Million" we'll all be wired as part of our physical being ..... can't wait for the RAM upgrades!!!!

"PC ports are always terrible" they said...
No one said always. GTA V was a good console game with the attention given to be made into a PC game.

Akrham Knight on the other hand was not. GTA V is the exception to the previous normal of console ports brought to the PC.

However, those games were not truly exclusive to Xbox since all of them will be made available on Windows 10.
To me this is so close to the "no true exclusive" fallacy. It's time we started looking at Windows and the Xbox as sometimes competitors whose collaboration is the way the industry needs to be moving. Xbox games being able to be played on a full gaming PC through the Windows Store is great; so is game streaming from the Xbox to PCs that cannot handle the games themselves. Gamers with options win; consoles and developers who lock people in for true "exclusives" should not be praised.

In either case since Microsoft may be willing to do this since it grows both the Xbox and Windows 10 ecosystems. They win either way.

Yaaaaa! Looks like spending lots of $$$$ updating my PC is not in vain!
Just as long as you can get your $$$$ worth out of it because all of your lovely, shiny new components will be considered archaic by suppertime tonight.
Yes, you are so right! But that's part of the fun. Computers are my hobby. I enjoy the latest tech and yes, it's expensive. My wife would tell you that! But I love this stuff!

Yaaaaa! Looks like spending lots of $$$$ updating my PC is not in vain!
Just as long as you can get your $$$$ worth out of it because all of your lovely, shiny new components will be considered archaic by suppertime tonight.

its ok because the xbox one x was outdated before it was even announced! and I'll be playing destiny 2 at 60FPS when consoles will be playing at 30

its ok because the xbox one x was outdated before it was even announced! and I'll be playing destiny 2 at 60FPS when consoles will be playing at 30
The same thing applies to PC parts, they're already outdated by the time they get launched. It's just the nature of the beast that is loosely called tech.

Yes, you are so right! But that's part of the fun. Computers are my hobby. I enjoy the latest tech and yes, it's expensive. My wife would tell you that! But I love this stuff!
Just don't let it run away with you or you could be staring directly at a long spell in the poorhouse... unless of course you have unlimited funds, or your other hobby is bank heists... Just kidding of course. ;)

The same thing applies to PC parts, they're already outdated by the time they get launched. It's just the nature of the beast that is loosely called tech.
A minor distinction here: due to the nature of the development cycle what you're technically saying is true. By the time a product reaches the market there are better designs existing (but they're not on the market yet).

Consoles though have longer periods before being upgraded though. We can expect new faster/more efficient processors and GPUs every year to year and a half. Money is the only limiting factor.

Back