PC to PC mover software suggestions?

mcIrishgurl

just purchased a new pc and want to transfer some programs, files, etc from my rather older pc to the new one. any suggestions on a good software program i could get for the novice. i've looked online and found pcmover by laplink, but seeing very mixed reviews, so not sure what's best....:confused:

Look for the FREE Microsoft Migration Tool.

Make sure that your systems are both supported by the tool.

If all else fails, connect both systems to the same router,
share My Documents on both systems
and then just COPY A->B

You cannot transfer programs as they need to be installed from scratch to work on another PC.

Files can be easily transfered by burning to DVD's unless you are talking about a very large number or the PC's dont both have a CD drive.

The alternative for file transfer is if both the PC's are connected to the same router you can set up an Ad-Hoc connection and transfer the files through the Network. These instructions Ad-hoc setup are for Vista and Windows 7, if on XP they will be a bit different.

As Mark has said above, you cannot transfer your software across, these need to be installed on the new computer.

You best method for transferring them will be to just share the folders with the files in, and move them from the old PC to the new one across the network.

thanks so much for the tips....so those software moving programs i see in stores, aren't really necessary and pretty much a waste of money. glad i asked before i bought!

Yes, a complete waste of money. There is free software easily available for doing exactly the same job.

Moving software from one computer to another is only of any use if you also move the OS and that can be done with free cloning software or the Micosoft Migration Tool. Problem with that is you loose the use of one of the PC's due to Microsoft licensing restrictions.

The only way to keep the OS on the new machine as it is, requires the re-installation of the software.

Moving all your personal files and saved data, as already mentioned, can be done using several different methods that don't require any additional software at all.

Back