PC to Router ethernet connection problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright so today I received my 2 50ft Cat5e patch cables in the mail. 1 is for my computer and 1 is for my Xbox 360. I ran the cables through the area where i planned to run them and then connected them to my computer and Xbox and neither 1 of them worked. My computer only sends packets and does not receive them. I researched it all day and found something called WinsockFix. That didn't work. My Xbox 360 says it can't connect to Xbox Live and asks if I want to test connection. I do and then it says that it can't detect my network hardware. I then brought in my asus asprie one netbook and plugged each ethernet cable into it 1 at a time. The internet worked fine on it and the TCP/IP settings where set to automatic. So the cables are fine. I tried another NIC card and i still got the same problem. So the NIC cards both work fine. I changed my workgroup to match my other computers. Still same problem. I am running Windows XP SP2 and I have a Netgear WNDR3300 router. Please help this is so frustrating. ='[

Make sure your system is free from virus and other malware before applying XP SP3. People that promote hate for Windows service packs always have some sort of dirty spyware/malware or corrupted programs and hard drive sectors on their computers before applying service packs... If you don't have any of these malaties, you can install SP3 with confidence

Make sure your system is free from virus and other malware before applying XP SP3. People that promote hate for Windows service packs always have some sort of dirty spyware/malware or corrupted programs and hard drive sectors on their computers before applying service packs... If you don't have any of these malaties, you can install SP3 with confidence

I promote hate for sp3 because so many programs don't work with it. And sp3 didn't do anything. Its still the same

No need to quote posts right under yours... "I promote hate for sp3 because so many programs don't work with it"...

People have used that excuse for all Windows Service Packs. I'd like to know just what programs don't work with XP SP3. Try resetting the router or replace the router with another for test purposes

No need to quote posts right under yours... "I promote hate for sp3 because so many programs don't work with it"...

People have used that excuse for all Windows Service Packs. I'd like to know just what programs don't work with XP SP3. Try resetting the router or replace the router with another for test purposes

Cain & Abel doesn't work properly with SP3. And I don't really need your attitude, I'll quote what I want.

"Cain & Abel" password recovery tool... Quoting every post clutters the entire thread and it is not necessary. So did you reset the router to its default settings?

"Cain & Abel" password recovery tool... Quoting every post clutters the entire thread and it is not necessary. So did you reset the router to its default settings?

Yes Cain & Abel is a password recovery tool, is there something wrong with that? And yes reset it to its default settings and nothing.

war story;
Had a problem with my cellphone when at home -- move 4-5 blocks away and all was fine. Support went thru their decison matrix and came to "replace your sim card" (mindless; it works elsewhere!). go to the store and not only mimic that rhetoric, but as I'm on month-to-month and no longer under their contract, the sales person says "could be your phone -- I'll sell you another" (more mindless kaka -- it is working while standing in front of him :( ). Finally they reluctantly agree to place a service request on the cell tower near my home.

You can guess it -- within two hours I have great service again from my living room.​
If you can't get Internet access, then first prove TCP is configured correctly.

get a command prompt (run->cmd)
enter IPCONFIG /ALL >mytcp.txt

follow-up in this thread and attach the file mytcp.txt

while in the command prompt
ping 208.67.219.231
nslookup www.google.com
ping www.google.com
all three should come back with data and NONE
should say anything about TIMEOUT or NOT FOUND

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back