PC Upgrade Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

pfexpress

Im not all that PC savvy, so Id appreciate some advice. Im considering either a PC upgrade, or, maybe just memory if that would be wiser.
Im currently running a Dell Dimension 3000 / Intel Pent4 2.8 GHz 512MB RAM *which I realize is low these days for memory*

I saw an ad (Id include the link to make it easier but I cant) for a PowerSpec V201
Intel Dual Core E-2200 2.2 Ghz w/ 2x1MB level 2 cache
800 MHz frontside bus
1024MB PC-5300 DDR2 RAM
Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950 Video Chipset
8x DVD+R DL; 8x DVD-R DL; 18x8x16 DVD+RW; 18x6x16 DVD-RW; 12x12 DVD-RAM; 48x32x48 CD-RW
160GB 7,200RPM Serial ATA Hard Drive
Price $269 after rebate
So with that info, would this PC be worth it? I realize today's PC is out-of-date by tomorrow. Would it be worth waiting a little while for a higher-tech PC to come down in price? Im in no immediate hurry, other than my PC is running a bit slow.
Any help would be appreciated.

That PC looks like a good deal to me. Just up the RAM to 2GB if you're going to be running Vista. Otherwise, it looks good for an ordinary home PC. I'm guessing that's what you'll be using it as?

I agree. As long as you aren't expecting to run most modern games on this PC, it should be fine for home PC uses.

Yes it will be a home PC. Some light home and online gaming, some media use. I dont play any high-tech games, so I doubt I will bog down any memory or video. So back to the original question, would it be wiser to just upgrade my current PC memory? Or purchase the new PC, being that you're still suggesting a memory upgrade.
Thanks for the prompt response

Your current PC would be fine too, provided you add another 512MB of RAM. The choice is entirely upto you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back