PC will not start after move to Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I am the lucky one moving to Vancouver. I brought my German desktop with me.

It has a MoBo Asus m3n78 pro gf8300

It worked perfecty fine back in Germany, however now it does not even give me a single beep anymore although the CPU fan works. I removed the graphic card ati amd radeon 4870, HD, DVD... everything. Changed the DDR RAM-2 slots as well.

However fan continues working, but not furhter booting signs like monitor remains off or as said not even a beep from MoBo. I cannot even switch it off anymore, hence I need to unplug.

Any clue how to mitigate?

Help is very much appreciated!
rauletti

I Think You Meant to Say........

"PC will not start after move to Canada........EY...:rolleyes:

You should probably try substituting the PSU with a known good one if possible, and reseat all the RAM modules, plugs, video card, and anything else you can think of that could have shaken loose, or become corroded.

Sometimes PSUs can fail if they're inoperative for a while, mostly the capicitors not being cycled, I think.

Be sure to take anti-static precautions, such as and anti-static wrist band, and ground yourself before you put your hands in the case.

Welcome to Vancouver!

If you're from Europe, your AC voltage is around 220-240, whereas in North America, we run on 110-120. Your problems may be due to your Euro-spec PSU being incompatible with our power system. The PSU may have a switch that will let you switch to a North American current.

Since you're in Vancouver, look up the NCIX website for Vancouver locations; they have very good prices on PC equipment, and have sales every weekend. There should be a few good PSU offerings for sale, if you decide you need a new one. You can also order online, and do a store pick-up if you desire.

Great tips

Hi guys,

thanks for the good tips..

I actually do have a deluxe switching power supply DLP 550s. Call me dumb, but I cannot see anything which gives me the chance to change anything like a switch.

Any further tip is appreciated!

Best
Rauletti

PS: I do love Canada, that is why I came here ;-)

Hands up all those that thought the DLP 550s was a 550w PSU.
Yep, me too.

Your PSU is actually supposedly rated at 450w peak, 350w continuous, although most of the references on the net I've seen list 330w as more accurate. SInce the 12v rails are rated at 30A (so, 30A x 12v = 360w at 100% efficiency) I'd say the 330 is close to the mark, which is likely more than a little borderline, especially if the PSU is a few years old (the PSU model is 5+ years old).
The PSU must feature automatic switching -and has passive PFC.
I'd try connecting up a known good PSU presuming the CPU and cooler are still well attached to the motherboard.

there are three styles of PSUs
  1. fixed input requirements ( 120 vs 240 ONLY)
  2. manually switched on the rear panel
  3. auto sense and configure (also sometimes called Universal )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back