PCI slot and IPMA show as not working, sound also doesn't work

I own a 4 year old (3 years 9 months) Gateway FX series (top of their line then), running Vista. I have a Creative Sound Blaster XFi sound card.

Everything was fine. The sound card stopped working all of a sudden.

I did a system restore. No help (several days back).

I deleted the driver and had the system find it to reinstall. No help.

I reloaded the driver after downloading from the website. No help.

I plugged in another set of speakers to the sound card. No help.

I noticed that in Device Driver the com port is fine as is the sound card. The PCI slot (under other devices has yellow exclamation point) as does the IPMA.

Gateway wants me to reset the computer to factory fresh. I really don't want to do this - the work would be terrrible for me.

I find that Gateway always wants you to do this but, before I did, I wanted to ask for ideas here.

Please, any thoughts will be appreciated.

gteam53

1) List any Problem Devices
  • Make sure devices are connected and powered on
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post
  • On the other hand, if no devices are listed, tell me so
2) Generate and attach a DirectX report
  • Click Start->Run, enter dxdiag
  • Notice progress in lower left window corner
  • When done, click Save Information button and save to your Desktop
  • In TechSpot, use the paper clip icon to attach the report. (If you don't see icon you may need to first click Go Advanced)
3) Did you try uninstalling the old driver before reinstalling? Look in Ctl Panel->Programs and Features, see if audio driver there and uninstall it
4) You might also try looking through / See if this might help [post=926040]Reference Guide to Help Setup and Troubleshoot Windows Audio and Sound Cards[/post]

Back