Performance of USB device

Hello, my usb devices are running really slow, i have run a anti-virus and disk defrag i am wondering what could be causing this decrease in performance
thanks

What are your computers specs? Look at my specs in the upper right-hand corner of my posts for an idea of what computer specs are...

"my usb devices are running really slow"...

What do you mean by "running slow"?

Like Tmagic said going to need some more information.

Its possible you are running them on USB1, or if they are USB2 ports, that they do not have the drivers necessary for USB2 speeds. Usually WinXP will tell you about that when you plug a device in if that is the problem.

They are running slow data transfer speeds most times they will transfer at about 10MB/s also i notices in games my mouse sometimes lags.
Thanks.

What is your motherboard make and model number. It is the motherboard that handles the USB ports you know

This motherboard surely has USB2 ports. Is Windows 7 fully updated to Service Pack 1? Did you install all the motherboard all the drivers, including the chipset drivers?

This may be a long shot.. but you can use Device Manager to verify if your USB device has been connected to a USB 1.1 or USB2.0 controller.
> Note your USB 2.0 controller will be named USB2 and/or have the word "Enhanced" in its device name (there should be at least one or more USB 2.0/Enhanced controllers)
> And skim thread [post=1005182]PC only recognizes one device as USB2 the rest as USB1.1[/post]

To view your device connections:
Open Device Manager. Click View->Devices by Connection. Then click the + sign to expand ACPI Multiprocessor and then Microsoft ACPI. Then you'll see PCI bus. Now expand PCI bus also. Now look for your USB controllers. and expand each one. Are your hi speed devices connected to USB 2.0 controllers?

/* EDIT */
p.s. View->Devices by Connections will show you parent/child relationship between all your plug and play devices connected to the PCI bus. So you can see which devices are connected to which controllers.... Click the + next to each USB controller to drill down and see the connected devices

What is your motherboard make and model number. It is the motherboard that handles the USB ports you know
humbug. The motherboard handles nothing at all; (the MB is nothing but a printed circuit board).
it does have chips-sets for various devices and the chip-set specific to each system have specific drivers (which handle the on-board USB, Ethernet, Video, ...)

It is quiet easy to attach a USB 2.0 device to a USB 1.1 controller and not be aware that the downward compatibility support has degrade your performance per @SNGX1275 above.

"The motherboard handles nothing at all"...

You must be kidding Jobeard! Are you really that clueless? The motherboard handles the CPU and all other devices data handling bus lines and bios. Any device attached to it uses the motherboard to communicate with the CPU and vice versa. Power is distributed to the motherboard and the motherboard conditions some of these voltages and distributes these to it's attached devices, whether they are USB or other peripherals. Add-on USB cards are no exception to this

the motherboard is passive until you plug-in the components.
a naked MB only has whatever is soddered down, like some BIOS chips.
until you plug-in the CPU, the MB is dumb as dirt.
until you plug-in the memory cards, it can't even process instructions although the CPU is present.

it's the componets on the board that make it more useful than just descrete wiring.

But you never use a motherboard alone. Your odd logic here also goes for any add-on component to a computer

Back