TechSpot giveaway: Win a DJI Spark drone & a Star Wars BB-8 droid

Periodic Table of Tech is the chemistry tool you wished you had in school

By Cal Jeffrey ยท 6 replies
Aug 10, 2017
Post New Reply
  1. Tech blog The Beacon recently posted an interesting twist on the periodic table. If you weren't asleep in high school chemistry, you'll recall the periodic table as a colorful chart that your teacher wanted you to memorize. It contains all of the elements listed in order of how many protons its atoms contain. Unless you were really into chemistry, you probably found the table frustrating.

The Beacon calls its table the Periodic Table of Tech, and I, for one, would have found it much more interesting to study when I was in chemistry. The table is laid out the same as a regular periodic table. It's colored similarly, too. The difference is that it is interactive and each element is linked to a brief description that includes how that element is used in the tech industry.

It's a pretty cool little chart. If you get a second, check it out.

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2017
  2. Vito05

Vito05 TS Enthusiast Posts: 17   +28

That's so neat!

3. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 8,456   +3,178

Cool. The periodic table I studied during my school years was just plain black & white though, not fancy colour coded that it is these days... and it had less elements.

Cal Jeffrey likes this.
  4. Uncle Al

Uncle Al TS Evangelist Posts: 3,084   +1,762

While the description of what the elements mean to the tech industry is different, it's certainly not new by a long stretch. The use of color by groups and other information has been around since the 1950's. Now, if they want to do something to really improve it, make the chart interactive where clicking on a particular element would bring up detailed information that included the uses, etc. THAT would be helpful to today's students!

Cal Jeffrey likes this.
  5. Cal Jeffrey

Cal Jeffrey TS Maniac Topic Starter Posts: 468   +145

Did you actually go to the link to it Al. It is interactive and does bring up detailed information. The details are brief, but do explain how the element is used in the tech industry. Here is the link if you missed it.

TempleOrion and Polycount like this.
  6. Godel

Godel TS Enthusiast Posts: 65   +24

Cal Jeffrey likes this.
  7. Cal Jeffrey

Cal Jeffrey TS Maniac Topic Starter Posts: 468   +145

Too bad I have Macs. That sounds cool.