Peter Molyneux's upcoming blockchain-based game has already made over $50 million in NFT...

midian182

Staff member
WTF?! For those wondering why companies keep embracing NFTs/play-to-earn games despite the public outcry, here’s a good illustration as to why our opinions don't matter: Peter Molyneux's recently announced blockchain-based sim Legacy has already sold over $50 million worth of virtual land, with the most expensive plot selling for almost $1 million.

Molyneux, who was behind the likes of Fable, Theme Park, and Dungeon Keeper, recently announced that his 22cans studio is developing Legacy, a Sim City-like business sim described as "a creative entrepreneur's dream” where players can buy land, build businesses, and sell/trade with others."

Legacy isn’t set to launch until next year, but people can already buy land NFTs needed to start their own "blockchain business association" in the game when it arrives. Business owners have access to Legacy Keys, which can be lent to others who also want to start an in-game business, thereby forming a partnership. The borrowers will then share a portion of the LegacyCoin—new crypto built on the Ethereum blockchain—they earn with their partners.

The land plot NFTs went on sale over the weekend. As with many NFTs, they have been selling for huge sums: over $53 million in total has been made so far, reports RPS. The most expensive of these, called Heart of London, went for $900,000, incredibly.

NFTs are up there with the metaverse as tech’s hot button issue right now. Ubisoft’s announcement video for NFTs coming to Ghost Recon Breakpoint was overwhelmed with dislikes, EA has confirmed plans to embrace play-to-earn titles, and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2: Heart of Chernobyl will include NFTs.

Non-fungible tokens aren’t without risks. In addition to scams, there’s also the danger of human error like the one that cost a Bored Ape Yacht Club NFT owner $250,000 when he misplaced a decimal point. And they’re not always guaranteed moneymakers. Axios' Stephen Totilo notes that the 19 Ghost Recon NFT gun skins he found on crypto marketplaces had selling prices of $639 to $423,000, but the highest offer anyone had made was $21.

h/t: IGN

Permalink to story.

Words truly fail at the level of idiocy that has resulted from Pandemic Economics.

Future Historians will no doubt look back and marvel at the causes of the great Western economic & societal collapse that happened in the early decades of the 21st Century and probably cite this sort of nonsense as one of the root causes.

I wonder what it’s like to have so much money, that the best use you can come up with is to spend a million dollars on a virtual piece of land. Actually, I’m not sure I want to know, because that could only mean that I’ve completely lost it!

To an old gamer like me, it’s kinda like trying to sell sand in the desert. I paid 10 euro for Minecraft back in the day and that game has more land than I can possibly experience in my entire life and I can share it with whoever I want for free - and that’s just one of many games in existence. I think it would take many quadrillions before I would personally run out of better ideas on what to spend the money on. I’m guessing it’s just some weird way of showing off to get attention?

Anyway, I play games to get away from that kind of ****, so I sure hope the concept ends up being a failure.

Blockchain will be huge. For whatever reason NFT's are becoming popular. If folks are spending that kind of money, might as well create some NFT's yourself. The whole crypto market is a shiny new stock market right now. I'm surprised we don't have more people investing. That investing is why people are buying these NFT's.

The only question now is how long before Star Citizen also gets in on the scam and creates NFTs to squeeze even more money out of gullible people instead of you know, having to release the game officially.
Man, that game is living rent free in your head lol
Not a single mention of it in the article...

I just hope these are only rich fools who are so easily parted with their money.
Can't imagine the average gamer spending so much...

The graphics of the game are wonderful! :joy::yum:mad:
I actually kind of like the graphics style but I'd never pay to play something like that. It reminds me of old runescape, back when it was good in the mid 2000's

Blockchain will be huge. For whatever reason NFT's are becoming popular. If folks are spending that kind of money, might as well create some NFT's yourself. The whole crypto market is a shiny new stock market right now. I'm surprised we don't have more people investing. That investing is why people are buying these NFT's.

A lot of Artists are turning off NFT as they use a lot of energy - not everyone dances to money

Peter Molyneux?

Hee hee hee...

The Guy Who Developed And Released CURITOSITY?!?

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA...

No stop, really... please... Why is anyone actually taking this seriously???

HAHAHAHAHAHAAAA... <whheeezzz>

Please... stop! I think I'm going to have a heart attack if I keep laughing like this...

As so many are priced out of Bitcoin, they too will get priced out of this digital world. We already get screwed out here in the real world. Are we gluttoned for punishment to now get screwed in the digital one? It seems like the same characters are now involved before this thing has even opened up to the general public. My curiosity has waned. Goodbye cruel digital world.

Back