Phil Spencer says Microsoft is cranking out as many next-gen consoles as it can

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
In context: According to Xbox boss Phil Spencer, the company is working as hard as possible to get more next-gen consoles into the market. Both Sony and Microsoft have struggled to meet PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S demand—a problem compounded by holiday scalpers.

Last week Xbox Live's Director of Programming Lawrence Hryb (aka Major Nelson) invited Phil Spencer to his podcast for an interview. When Nelson brought up shortages, the Xbox head said that all the cogs in the console manufacturing machine are turning at full speed (below).

"I get some people [asking] 'Why didn't you build more, why didn't you start earlier, why didn't you ship them earlier?'" Spencer commented. "I mean all of those things, and it's really just down to physics and engineering. We're not holding them back. We're building them as fast as we can. We have all of the assembly lines going."

The Xbox top dog also mentioned that he has been in close contact with AMD CEO Lisa Su, trying to work out a way to get more components. He didn't elaborate further, but as most of us are aware, supply is equally tight at AMD.

Many factors contribute to the current next-gen gaming shortage. Shortfalls in the supply chain and delays from the pandemic have led to the inevitable. While Sony tried to hide it by denying rumors of production limitations, Spencer saw it coming as early as October and said as much upfront. The Xbox exec predicted that production would not catch up to demand until early 2021.

Sony has also reportedly been ramping up production of its PlayStation 5 in the new year. Insiders have said that the company has entered agreements with several PS5 component suppliers to increase production in 2021. If the rumors are true, Sony should be shipping an average of 1.4-1.5 million PS5 units per month throughout the year.

Image credit: South China Morning Post

Permalink to story.

I’m also cranking out as many as I can, but that’s more to do with lockdown than Xbox sales.

Show me some Exclusives that I actually want before I consider buying it.

In fact, Cyberpunk 2077 singlehandedly justified the money I spent on my PC over Xbox/PS5.
This. I buy my console for the exclusives, nothing else. I don't care about 5% perf difference or something. I read a piece about how MS just doesn't care about Xbox sales that much, because the big money comes from Game Pass and that's it.

This. I buy my console for the exclusives, nothing else. I don't care about 5% perf difference or something. I read a piece about how MS just doesn't care about Xbox sales that much, because the big money comes from Game Pass and that's it.

It could be argued that Cyberpunk 2077 is an "Exclusive" since there are no consoles powerful enough to run it.

The PS5 and Xbox SX aren't as powerful as the 2080 Super. It was never gonna work out for them vs. PC Master Race.

Microsoft seems like it is leaning more towards Game Pass and Streaming to smartphones linked to Xbox controllers- things they should have been doing all along since they wouldn't make an Xbox Handheld.

Last edited:
No one cares. When are we going to get a supply of the new RTX cards and AMD procs??

😝
Ummm after Jan 2021 like Nvidia has been saying since Nov. We may get more info on Jan 12th. So reality is Feb at earliest. But most suggest a Spring release for restocks which would be like March or April.

It could be argued that Cyberpunk 2077 is an "Exclusive" since there are no consoles powerful enough to run it.

The PS5 and Xbox SX aren't as powerful as the 2080 Super. It was never gonna work out for them vs. PC Master Race.

Microsoft seems like it is leaning more towards Game Pass and Streaming to smartphones linked to Xbox controllers- things they should have been doing all along since they wouldn't make an Xbox Handheld.

The Game runs just fine on XSX and PS5....

Yeah, but now that crossplay is a thing, the need for consoles just for exclusives is starting to fade. At this point, its a Switch for Nintendo stuff, and a PC for everything else.

Back