Philips is prepping a massive 49-inch ultrawide display

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Philips has shared details of its latest ultra-wide monitor at the recent IFA trade show in Berlin. The Philips 492P8 consists of an LED-backlit, Samsung-manufactured 49-inch VA panel with a resolution of 3,840 x 1,080 (32:9 (3.56:1) aspect ratio, 81.41 PPI). Refresh rate and response times are unknown at this hour although Philips did share with AnandTech that its new screen sports a brightness rating of up to 600 cd/m² and a contrast of 5,000:1. It’s also got an 1800R curvature and an sRGB color gamut.

Connectivity options include a single DisplayPort connector, two HDMI ports and a D-Sub connection (plus 3.5mm input and outputs). There’s also a USB hub with two USB 3.0 ports and a Gigabit Ethernet jack.

Philips’ monitor is wide for sure but I’m not sure it's all that great of an offer.

Serious gamers are probably going to look elsewhere for G-SYNC / FreeSync and speedy refresh rates while those eyeballing loads of desktop real estate would likely better be served by using a decent 4K TV as a monitor. With the latter option, you’d get double the vertical resolution for less money than Philips is asking.

The Philips 492P8 is set to arrive sometime in the second quarter of 2018 priced around $1,075. Unless Philips announces some pretty incredible specs between now and then, I’d probably keep looking.

Lead image courtesy AnandTech

Permalink to story.

It's refreshing to see a VA panel, they're beautiful. They aren't that good for gaming but this isn't being sold as a gaming monitor. There are displays you can order on eBay that use 4k TV panels but they strip the electronics down to reduce input lag. IIRC you can order some of them in Newegg. Can't remember the brand names off the top of my head.

They aren't perfect yet, but if you absolutely HAVE to game at 4k on a large display those are the way to go.

For reference, pixel density is almost identical to a 27" 1080p monitor. (which isnt as bad as most people say it is, though its not good for heavy text work or the like).

This thing looks magnificent though. I would love to use one of these.

For reference, pixel density is almost identical to a 27" 1080p monitor. (which isnt as bad as most people say it is, though its not good for heavy text work or the like).

This thing looks magnificent though. I would love to use one of these.
The other thing about pixel density is that you will probably be sitting farther away since the display is so large. The other good thing about lower pixel densities is that yields are higher and therefore bring the costs down. I can only imagine how much this would cost if they made it at the standard 96DPI

It's refreshing to see a VA panel, they're beautiful. They aren't that good for gaming but this isn't being sold as a gaming monitor. There are displays you can order on eBay that use 4k TV panels but they strip the electronics down to reduce input lag. IIRC you can order some of them in Newegg. Can't remember the brand names off the top of my head.

They aren't perfect yet, but if you absolutely HAVE to game at 4k on a large display those are the way to go.

I've got an Asus MX34VQ, which uses a VA panel. No complaints as far as gaming is concerned if HDR and 144Hz aren't musts. Actually a very balanced gaming/productivity monitor.

As for this Philips display...

The vertical size kills it. x1080 effectively nerfs half the reason for buying an ultra wide display. x1440 is the minimum to make it worth while for anything other than gaming. Unless you like to do your productive computing squint-eyed, that is.

I've got an Asus MX34VQ, which uses a VA panel. No complaints as far as gaming is concerned if HDR and 144Hz aren't musts. Actually a very balanced gaming/productivity monitor.

As for this Philips display...

The vertical size kills it. x1080 effectively nerfs half the reason for buying an ultra wide display. x1440 is the minimum to make it worth while for anything other than gaming. Unless you like to do your productive computing squint-eyed, that is.
Well as a general rule of thumb VA panels have the highest latency of the big three(IPS,TN,VA). For hardcore gaming, TN panels. For something well rounded in latency and image quality, IPS. For hands down some of the best pictures you can get, VA panel. And as far as HDR is concerned, I've never seen a VA panel that needs HDR. That REAL 3000:1 contrast ratio is some of the best you can get without going to an OLED.

And to think my uncle and his squadron bombed the Philips factory & HQ in Amsterdam almost into oblivion in his de Havilland Mosquito back in '42. Well, they certainly didn't put them out of business and the bombing strike wasn't ordered by Apple either, surprisingly enough, but that's a very nice screen/panel. A little bit overkill for me though, not to mention far too expensive.

Back