Philips releases 34-inch and 42-inch OLED gaming monitors

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? Philips has released a pair of OLED gaming monitors under its Evnia brand that boast high refresh rates and resolutions. They're also hefty units (34 inches and 42 inches), feature low input lag, 10-bit panels, and, in the case of the smaller model, a curved display.

Starting with the Philips Evnia 34M2C8600 (top), this 34-inch QD-OLED display is another to combine organic light-emitting diode (OLED) panels and Quantum Dot (QD) technology. The Alienware AW3423DWF 34, which we awarded a score of 90 in our review, is one of several QD-OLED monitors on the market. One of their advantages is that they're supposedly less susceptible to burn-in than other OLED panel types.

The curved monitor has a 3440 x 1440 (21:9) resolution with a maximum refresh rate of 175Hz and a 0.1ms Grey to Grey response time. It also carries VESA's Display HDR True Black 400 stamp, has 99.3% coverage of the DCI-P3 color gamut, a Delta E of less than 2, and comes with features such as a USB-C port, a KVM switch, and a height-adjustable stand.

The other monitor, the Philips Evnia 42M2N8900, offers a 4K (3840 x 2160) resolution on its 42-inch OLED (not QD-OLED) display that can be overclocked to 138Hz. Like its smaller sibling, it comes with a 0.1ms GtG response time. Buyers also get a peak brightness of 450 nits and USB-C connectivity.

Other shared features include AdaptiveSync, Philips Ambiglow lighting system for adding more immersion to games and movies, DTS sound, and 10-bit panels for exceptional color accuracy.

The 34-inch Philips Evnia 34M2C8600 is priced at £1,149 in the UK. That converts directly to $1,381, though the United Kingdom's taxes mean electronic items are always more expensive in the country. For comparison, the Alienware AW3423DWF is $1,100.

The 42-inch Philips Evnia 42M2N8900 is £1,499, or $1,804. A close comparison to that model would be the Asus ROG PG42UQ, which is $1,400.

Both the Philips Evnia monitors are now available in Europe. No word yet on a US release or official dollar prices.

Permalink to story.

I wish Philips would drop this Ambiglow from their monitors and their TVs. That is one feature that totally turns me off from considering any of their displays. IMO, its a gimmick for those not well informed about proper back lighting. IF I were to buy one of these monitors, I would shut off Ambiglow - assuming that is possible.

OLED for static image appliances I guess means no microLED in foreseable future, moreover they make even progress with OLED than microLED. And miniLED is just overcomplicated gimmick that makes screens x3 times expensive.

Oh ffs, and I was already hoping for 42 inch uw 5k screen... I guess still need to wait more.

I know I'm a weird-o but I've blended my office and home theater into 1 and use a 65"4k TV as a monitor at my desk. I REALLY WISH they would put display port on TV's so 8k120 could be a thing. I'm not asking to game at 8k120, I just want the screen real estate with the smoothness of high refresh rate. For my job, being able to scale up schematics to larger than their print size is VERY useful. I do feel limited by the DPI of a 65" 4k TV up close but I don't want to spend thousands to upgrade to 8k without 120hz. It'll probably be several years before 8k gaming is really a thing but it'd be nice to have a screen to "grow into". The panels are 120hz capable(144hz in many cases @4k), it's really annoying that HDMI will only do 8k60 and there is absolutely no talk about a new HDMI standard.

First world problems I guess.

note: I forgot what point I originally wanted to make aside from "these aren't big" but I was several tangents deep before I realized I was rambling.

I tend to think a 55" 4k 120hz Oled tv will work just fine for me. And I can get it for a lot less than $1800.

I tend to think a 55" 4k 120hz Oled tv will work just fine for me. And I can get it for a lot less than $1800.
unless you're into highly competitive you'll never notice the drawbacks of using a TV over a gaming monitor. I've seen that gaming monitors have an input lag of around 2-5ms and TVs have anywhere between 5ms to 20ms in game mode. Cheap TVs can have really bad input lag, upwards of 100ms but I have yet to see a "cheap" OLED.

Keep in mind, I'm not talking about pixel response time, I'm talking about the signal latency between the PC, the display's brain box and then to the pixel. Main reason for higher latency on TVs is the stupid "smart" features taking up resources on said brain box

Such a low res for the 34". 3440 x 1440 is the new 1080p. Been around forever and we need to start seeing higher resolutions in the same format like 3840 x 1600, 4300 x 1800

Back