Photoshop 5.5 has stopped opening DDS files?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im running Photoshop 5.5 on windows xp & downloaded a pluggin so i can open DDS files & edit them. Pluggin installs & I start doing just that, DDS file saves correctly & i can now play Mount & Blade with my own meshes & their new textures, Life is good, but its getting late so i shutdown & go to bed. Next morning i startup computer but now Photoshop cannot open DDS files? I just get a box pop up saying i need Photoshop 3.0 or higher thats compatable with this plugin, but i have5.5 & it worked last night? (Though sometimes theres no box & it just has to end program) Once thats closed down i get a error message saying:
DDE Server Window:photoshop.exe - Application Error The instruction at "0x7c9113c0"referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be "written".

Anyone out there that can offer some insite into whats happened to my photoshop?

The clue might be the warning you got from the plug-in after reboot. It expects to see photoshop 3.0. That could imply it is written for version 3 and is actually too old to work properly with the version 5.5 you have. Your best bet is possibly to forget it, uninstall it and find an alternative that is more recent. If it won't uninstall and leave you with a working Photoshop, you will have to reinstall photoshop.

A second clue is the error referring to DDE server. This is a communications technology not supplied by either Photoshop or the plug-in - it is microsoft product and it may be you have a corrupted version, or the add-on has installed .DLL's which have incorrectly overwritten a later version in XP. I can't offer advice on how to update or repair DDE, sorry, but maybe a reinstall of photoshop might do it.

hmm iv been looking along those lines. The plugin came from the nvidia website so i wud hope its up to date there was no version limitations mentioned on the download. The fact it worked when i first installed it then stoped working makes me think its the second option the communication tec. With it been an old version of Photoshop i can no longer find my install disc so was hoping it was fixable with a patch. Not to worry.
I know a G. Hall, small world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back