Pixel 2 owners say update caused phones to become warmer, reduced battery life

By midian182 · 12 replies
Feb 18, 2018
Post New Reply
  1. It’s fair to say that Google’s second generation of Pixel phones haven’t had the smoothest of times since launch. Following their display and audio issues (among others), it seems some users are experiencing yet more problems with their Pixel 2 handsets: warm temperatures and reduced battery life.

Twitter, Reddit, and Google’s Pixel User Community have all seen reports of the issues, which affect both the Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL. As noted by 9to5Google, many believe these are the result of February’s security patch.

The severity seems to vary from user to user, but most people are complaining that the phones, while still usable, are running a lot warmer than they should be, even when performing non-intensive tasks. Some reports say the handsets are heating up while in standby and the problem is still present in safe mode, making the recent update, rather than any apps, the likely cause.

A toasty phone isn’t the only problem users are experiencing; it seems the security patch has also negatively affected the battery life of some Pixel 2 handsets. A few reports say the battery drained by more than half after one hour with the display turned on, though the impact hasn’t been as extreme for other users.

Some people have reported experiencing both the warming and the reduced battery life after installing the update, while others say their phones suffer from one of the problems but not the other.

Google has yet to comment on the reports, but given their numbers, expect the company to release a statement soon. At least the tech giant isn't alone in putting out an update that had unforeseen effects; Samsung recently halted its rollout of Android Oreo to Galaxy S8 handsets after it was found to be causing random reboots.

While Google managed to double Pixel shipments in 2017, it still only moved a comparatively underwhelming 3.9 million units last year.

The company could be facing more Pixel-related problems from law firm Girard Gibbs LLP, the same company that handled the LG bootloop case. It is behind a class action lawsuit directed at the first generation of Pixels over their “defects,” and is looking at launching a similar suit against the Pixel 2s.

Permalink to story.

2. EClyde

EClyde TS Evangelist Posts: 1,488   +525

#metoo

3. Uncle Al

Uncle Al TS Evangelist Posts: 4,164   +2,637

Great in winter .....

4. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 2,696   +165

Oh my another class-action law suite over cell phones.. It seems everything has a class-action law suite. Lawyers going after techie cells phone that were basically experimental in the first place. What a good thing I didn't opt for these Google cell phones.

5. NimbusTLD

NimbusTLD TS Booster Posts: 84   +57

Haven't noticed any changes in battery life with the Feb update. Pixel 2 XL battery life is still fantastic: 68% left, last full charge 7 hours ago.

6. Shadowboxer

Shadowboxer TS Booster Posts: 127   +45

Ah the Pixel, the locked down overpriced mobile phone running the worlds favourite open source budget operating system. Despite all of this it might have sold if it didn’t have a junk screen and wasn’t ugly as sin.

veLa likes this.
  7. Panda218

Panda218 TS Evangelist Posts: 537   +260

I've had my Pixel 2 (5 inch variant) for just over 3 weeks and have had zero issues with the device.

8. Shadowboxer

Shadowboxer TS Booster Posts: 127   +45

Ah yeah I’m only being silly. I’d never buy a pixel but we aren’t all the same. If you like a locked down open source operating system (although Android isn’t actually open source as far as I’m aware?) and you like the looks then it’s the phone for you. And as for the “burn in” or whatever the problem was on the screen I’m sure It’s not actually that big a deal. I doubt I’d notice it. It’s more one of those things that people criticise the phones for but the users don’t care. Like antennaegate on the iPhone 4. Or the spectre and meltdown patches on Intel hardware.

9. Panda218

Panda218 TS Evangelist Posts: 537   +260

Oh yeah no problem, everyone is entitled to their own opinions of a device. I could careless about the system being "open source" as to me anything beats iOS and the device looks don't matter at all as it gets put in a case so as long as the screen shows me the content I'm looking at I'm a happy camper. I was trying to hold out for the Galaxy s9, but my original Pixel was having issues and Google Fi offered me 300 bucks for trade-in credit towards a new phone and that beats all other carriers by about 200 dollars. So the deicsion was pretty easy though I do miss my 3.5mm jack already (luckily I'm no audiophile and can use BT without any fuss).

It seems like most complaints for the screen were for the XL model. I have tiny hands and despise large phones so the 5" device is a perfect fit.

Cheers!

10. McMurdeR

McMurdeR TS Booster Posts: 103   +76

My Nexus 5x went the way of the brick due to a known manufacturing problem, and Google washed their hands of the whole thing while LG gave everyone two fingers.

Sorry to see their new brand is struggling with execution issues. If they really want to take on the likes of Apple they need to get serious.

11. senketsu

senketsu TS Guru Posts: 642   +418

I joined a class-action lawsuit against Canadian Student Loans who lost a laptop that contained all of my personal data. Year later I find out that if we win I am entitled to $60 CAD and when everyone is paid out all the rest of the money, no matter how much...you guessed it, goes to the lawyers.

12. Tanstar

Tanstar TS Evangelist Posts: 656   +200

My Pixel 2 (5") has fantastic battery life and never gets hot. However, the Bluetooth often drops after about 2 minutes of being connected to my car. If it stays connected past that it is fine. I recently connected it to my stereo bluetooth earbuds that I normally pair with an ASUS 10" tablet. It paired, connected and . . . sound continued to come out of the phone's speakers. Closed the program producing the audio and reopened it . . . same thing. Power cycled both the phone and bluetooth earbuds . . . same thing. Bluetooth is pretty broken on my Pixel 2.

13. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 12,063   +1,338

Hmm; warmth => cpu usage increase. Check settings changes AND look for driveby mining operations on your android devices.