Playable game frame rates?

mathewkaneQ4

What frame rate is considered playable for first person shooter games like Quake4, crysis, call of duty, medal of honor etc.

from my long experience i notice that all games will be running at its normal speed as long as you gain fps more than 25

if you want COMPLETE smooth gameplay i would get 45-50fps MINIMUM but anything around 40's will do

Frames per second

Gameplay
<30 FPS - very limited gameplay

30-40 FPS - average yet very playable

40-60 FPS - good gameplay

>60 FPS - best possible gameplay

From guru3d.com

Yes, that's a point in my opinion. I want a higher average than 20s because if something causes a drop in FPS(big bad boss level, special effects.. used to be smoke grenades in Counterstrike back in the day) suddenly your playing in Powerpoint slideshow world. I've played a lot of games in mid 40s and it's fine. Don't really see a huge difference between that and 60 but having that higher average means you don't end up rage quitting games when you lose due to FPS problems.

Yes I'm very spoiled with my 9600gt.
Ideally I have 200fps, and my 9600gt can spit it out.

HK, what games are you playing to get those frame rates? Until I build my new system I am running my current build with a 9600GT as well but I do notice lag on certain games.

My friend has been playing all the C.O.D's online and been averaging between 30 and 40 frames and that's never stopped him from having fun.

HK, what games are you playing to get those frame rates? Until I build my new system I am running my current build with a 9600GT as well but I do notice lag on certain games.
Like...starcraft LOL. CS:S. A lot of settings in CS are toned to appropriate settings. Nothing new; I don't have a magical 9600gt. I haven't really been playing too much recently.

StarCraft used to **** all over my system back in the day, being a young chipper lad with my Dad's discarded parts :(

40+ is about where I settle as playable, but if the game is amazing I'll happily settle for less, no less than 20 but :eek:

Back