PlayStation 4 outsold Xbox One by nearly double last month

Shawn Knight

Staff member

sony trounced microsoft console sales gaming playstation 4 xbox one

Sony is off to a solid start in 2014 as January sales of the PlayStation 4 were nearly double those of Microsoft’s next generation Xbox One according to the latest report from research firm NPD Group. It’s unclear exactly how many consoles were sold during the month, however.

Conversely, Microsoft took the top spot in terms of overall game sales but it’s worth pointing out that this includes Xbox One and Xbox 360 sales. Narrowed down to include Xbox One games only, Sony topped Microsoft in all of the bestselling games except for Call of Duty: Ghosts and Lego Marvel Super Heroes.

The two consoles launched within a week of each other late last year, just in time for the holiday buying season. The software lineup for each console was limited at launch with very few exclusives to sway buyers one way or another, something that’ll change pretty soon starting with the highly anticipated release of Titanfall in March.

Microsoft isn’t exactly hurting for hardware sales, however, as the company recently said their new console is selling 2.29 times faster than its predecessor during the same time span. At that rate, the Xbox One could go on to become Microsoft’s best selling console ever.

Regardless of which camp you support, it’s good news for gamers and the market in general. Blockbuster titles like the aforementioned Titanfall, Destiny, The Crew and Watch Dogs are all slated for a 2014 release as well which will no doubt drive console sales even higher.

Permalink to story.

Regardless of which camp you support...
What if you support neither camp? I get it that many who own a new console argue it's the best to justify their purchase, but for the rest of us it's like watching a coupla farm boys argue Ford F150 vs Chevy Silverado.

...and then the PC gamer crowd pipes in... :)

I don't care about the overpriced consoles and their exclusives...got plenty to play on PC and it's got a better backwards compatibility track record.

There's no reason to be in a hurry to purchase either console right now. In a year or so when there are some good used games to buy at a discount then I'll probably buy a PS4. At one hundred dollars cheaper with slightly more powerful graphics I think it's going to be a winner.

I find it ironic that many peoples argument is "The Xbox ONE has more strings attached" when in reality Sony nonchalantly slipped in the terms and conditions all the things people protested Microsoft from doing and more where as Microsoft removed them all (Like the whole DRM policy for instance). This is what happens when people don't read the terms and conditions or just take things at face value.

Either way, neither console has enough games to really be justified yet. When games start coming out things will of course get better but as it is neither has enough games to justify the purchase.

I saw this happening. As soon as M$ revealed their draconian policies I knew for certain that this race was basically already decided. Then Sony Confirmed it with the policies and Price.

You can see where each company has its priorities. Sony, Gaming, Developers, You/me, entertainment in general. M$, it's self, Sports, Entertainment center, Kinect, killing used games, Lame policies, you/me.

I just can't risk it with them trying to renig on those old ideas. Sony has been straight forward.

I'm still waiting for Sony, Microsoft or the media to tell me why I should care about unit sales.

I'm still waiting for Sony, Microsoft or the media to tell me why I should care about unit sales.
the only explanation I can think of is that it points out where the market is headed. Increasing console/smartphone sales + decreasing PC sales. And even thats a weak explanation.

I saw this happening. As soon as M$ revealed their draconian policies I knew for certain that this race was basically already decided. Then Sony Confirmed it with the policies and Price.

You can see where each company has its priorities. Sony, Gaming, Developers, You/me, entertainment in general. M$, it's self, Sports, Entertainment center, Kinect, killing used games, Lame policies, you/me.

I just can't risk it with them trying to renig on those old ideas. Sony has been straight forward.

Guessing you have never read the Sony PS4 terms of service.
Quoted from Section 7.1 of Sony Terms of Service:
"You must not resell either Disc-based Software or Software Downloads, unless expressly authorized by us and, if the publisher is another company, additionally by the publisher."

Yea Microsoft is the one with "Draconian Policies"...

Most likely just to get the console fanboys riled up, because you can then brag about the console you back. It's just a silly waste of time honestly, but it's to feed into the fans. Also be nice if they considered Nintendo, but we all know it's a struggling console without some game support. Yes I already know from the Nintendo Direct, what's coming for the console and hope it helps boost some sales.

That's very true GhostRyder. I don't see why anyone would pick a side this early, with either of the players in this game. As for the PS4 taking a lead I'm guessing the prices of each system has more impact, than corporation history or the perceptions of "strings attached." Console system typically fall down in price shortly after launch and consumers want to lose the least dollar on their purchases. With $100 difference at the starting line is nearly putting two games into the hands of a PS4 gamer, and not exactly an advantage for the Xbox One.

Guessing you have never read the Sony PS4 terms of service.
Quoted from Section 7.1 of Sony Terms of Service:
"You must not resell either Disc-based Software or Software Downloads, unless expressly authorized by us and, if the publisher is another company, additionally by the publisher."

Yea Microsoft is the one with "Draconian Policies"...

It is in the terms of service but I cant see anywhere saying you will be fined/banned/etc. if you do so, microsoft went out in public with it not sony so there for sony is still in the good books plus sony dont have a spy cam thats non-optional.

As a PC Gamer the Wii U was actually my purchase of choice and offered the most unique experience in contrast to my PC. If I was a console gamer primarily I would have definitely went with the PS4 and I will probably even buy one 1-2 years down the road.

@GhostRider- I don't think they mean any harm from telling you not to resell the games. It's only about someone byuing and then reselling that game they express their concern. They didn't tell you that you can't lend it to a friend. And why would you sell it to a friend, when you can just lend it to him in the first place? That policy protects the developers of that game from losing out on their payment if you think about it. Someone worked hard to develop something and needs to get something in return right?

Didn't I read somewhere that the PS4 was available to a larger user base? Anyway following all the PS4 vs XB1 topics, I'm not surprised PS4 has sold more. It was available first, and still cost less.

It is in the terms of service but I cant see anywhere saying you will be fined/banned/etc. if you do so, microsoft went out in public with it not sony so there for sony is still in the good books plus sony dont have a spy cam thats non-optional.
First of all it does not matter because its not in the Xbox ONES terms of service while it is in the PS4's. So neither console does it right now but Sony has said they have the right to and Xbox has not since they retracted their statement. Sony on the other hand had the exact same policy on the PS4 from the factory, that update you do on the day 1 removes it the same as on the Xbox ONE. The only major difference is Sony is sneaking it in and hiding this fact while Microsoft was open about it.

on the SpyCam part...yea because those microsoft Execs want to stare at you while your playing a video game for hours on end. You've caught onto the master plan...

on the SpyCam part...yea because those microsoft Execs want to stare at you while your playing a video game for hours on end. You've caught onto the master plan...

Who said anything about Microsoft execs spying on people? I don't think it's a bunch of corporate bigwigs that people are concerned about. If the past 6 years have taught any lessons, it's that the paranoia crowd is up 21-0 on us "rational" folk.

Haha still I do wonder though. I'll keep on my computer for now. I mostly use my xbox360 to play music or films stored on my computer =p

Doesn't take a Genius to realize PS4 is better in every single way compared to Xbox one. From Hardware, software, to online, Xbox one really messed up and it's not just a opinion its a fact.
Thats wrong in so many ways, first off that is an opinion and where are your facts. Hardware side, only the GPU and ram are better but thats it. The Xbox has the higher processor and the better cooling so far. The rest of the specs in general are on equal ground and the Xbox has high speed EDRAM.

Software...That a flat opinion and the software has more features and currently works better on Xbox ONE, the PS4 is just a stripped down OS with less features than even the PS3.

Online: Both are equal...They are both the exact same experience except Xbox has been doing it longer. But neither have an advantage.

Both of my consoles work just fine, but flat saying something is fact without owning them or without proof is just blowing air. Both consoles work well and do what they are supposed to. PS4 has actually made a bigger mess of things with its hidden DRM policy in the terms of service and with the whole 1 or 2 launch titles with the console. Im very disappointed that its taken them so long to release any system exclusive games when they flat out say "Were focused on gaming". I may have jumped the gun pre-ordering both because I was expecting games to start seriously flying off the shelves but apparently neither did it. But at least the Xbox had 4 Launch titles while the PS4 has 2.

First of all it does not matter because its not in the Xbox ONES terms of service while it is in the PS4's. So neither console does it right now but Sony has said they have the right to and Xbox has not since they retracted their statement. Sony on the other hand had the exact same policy on the PS4 from the factory, that update you do on the day 1 removes it the same as on the Xbox ONE. The only major difference is Sony is sneaking it in and hiding this fact while Microsoft was open about it.

You might be right but lets not forget who came out and started wondering why everyone was all anti NSA.
Microsoft planted billions on this idea they wont just let it go I mean come on its microsoft they already said we need this metro so we are keeping it you think they are gonna just let all those ideas they made go into the bin? Hell no.

Ohh gosh your right I guess snowden didnt get all those top secret files and documents saying they were spying on you as according to you only high up execs look at that stuff so it was the president and NSA chief who was looking at your computer then.

Atleast the PS4 playerbase dont play bad games like the xbox one players if ya get mi drift lad, xD Ghosts... there is a reason it wasnt big on the PS4.

Back