PlayStation 4 will require a Day One update to enable many basic features

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Sony’s PlayStation 4 will require a Day One software update to enable full console functionality. The patch will weigh in around 300MB and enable basic features like Blu-ray and DVD support, party chat and the ability to listen to music in the background while playing a game.

Other more complex features that will be missing out of the box include Remote Play on the PS Vita and the ability to record and upload gameplay highlights using the Share button. What’s more, gamers won’t be able to livestream sessions through Twitch and Ustream without the 1.50 update nor will they be able to use voice commands and facial recognition features via the optional PS4 Eye accessory.

sony playstation ps4 playstation 4 day one update

It doesn’t end there, either, as the update will be necessary to use Sony’s ‘play as you download’ feature powered by technology acquired from Gaikai. As Engadget correctly pegs it, pretty much everything we’ve heard Sony talk about in the lead up to the PS4’s launch won’t be available without the update.

Looking past how so many crucial features missed being baked into the console from the factory, I can already see how this will play out based on experience with other massive updates and online-required game updates. In short, there will be a lot of pissed off gamers come November 15 and in the days that follow that won’t be able to get the update because the servers will be overloaded. I invite Sony to prove me wrong and allocate enough download servers in advance but given precedent, I just don’t see that happening.

Permalink to story.

It is unavoidable or they would avoid it, better than delaying the console.

Basically without the update the console is useless, and without the update you can't access any of the online features. Server issues will be unavoidable, people will be upset, I will not be one of them. Unless your the 14 year old girl out of your group of friends, you can wait a week to get this thing, and then no headaches will be had, simple really. But this is just one update out of the couple dozen in the first year of a consoles life, the fact that there's an update before it goes live, that's impressive and likely a sign of things to come.

The tone of this article renders it useless. As has already been mentioned by the previous responses; so what? if it means more mature and functional drivers then I would have zero issue with a download, it's not like it's original or new and therefore questionable; I buy a model and the first thing I have to do is download updated drivers.I buy a NEW game and first thing that happens is it checks for updated code. Yet again another article that is proving out the fact that the editors and writers of this site have a serious biased, be it bought and paid for or simply they are M$ and Apple window lickers is yet to be determined.

I guess the hardware was already in production when the update came out. They had to push it somehow. The problem is the server issue on day one, as a gamer from the 56kbps era, I can wait.

Sorry Shawn Knight...I wont be pissed off. I just want my PS4 already!!! Updates and patches are part of technology....I can almost guarantee your windows did an update before or during the post of this article by you. :)

A "DayOne" update!?

Ha!

you cant imagine what can be hidden in 300mb...

that update is just an excuse to gather all info about the first user, so they can control where EACH ps4 have been plugged and turned it on, companies ALWAYS wanted to know that data... remember the "registry your product" card that use to come in every (even a simply calculator) device in 80s 90s and 00s? not everybody does that, but this "update" is a forced way to do that, but since it is only an update to get it properly working... you never think it is to tell yell at sony "hey my name is alex and I have purchased a ps4 and I am in France, my ISP is ... and my physical address is this and that..."
since sony says it is an update, they dot have to ask you to sign or to accept a privacy statement, so the info can be sell to anybody under the table... like the government?

it is a very "like apple behavior"...

I am not interested to tell sony where I am and who I am... but cracks and offline support will arise...

I bet this is some ploy to hide DRM as a "Update". Get User X to log in, register, then download the update. Then the server knows User X owns the PS4, so when the PS4 gets banned for hardware mods, they can blacklist the account.

Elegant, if I do say so myself.

Makes you laugh when the emphasis and exaggerate small patches such as this as if we are all still on 9.6k modems. Whoopie do the patch will take around 30 seconds to download OMG quick lets cancel the console and commit mass suicide the end is nigh!

Makes you laugh when the emphasis and exaggerate small patches such as this as if we are all still on 9.6k modems. Whoopie do the patch will take around 30 seconds to download OMG quick lets cancel the console and commit mass suicide the end is nigh!
When you consider that Windows XP installed from a CD, (max capacity about 700MB), then what you call, a "small patch", (300MB), actually is a "big deal"..

Moving on. Wow, your internet is so fast, can I have your autograph?

I see you're still waiting for your first "like". With the yap on you, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Only a brat would be upset over this.
What would you consider the brat / non brat ratio would be of potential Play Station consumers?

Besides, a big update before you can fully use the console, would be a big downer on Christmas day. Would it not?

If I was Sony, I'd be spending an enormous chunk of change on server allocation to make sure this update goes smoothly. Especially considering the limited release audience on release (USA, who else?). You can't put the price on the potential loss of good PR.

I've heard that both consoles will have the update on the official launch date to prevent people from using it properly if it's released prematurely...
That's actually a possibility! Nice.

Back