PlayStation Classic gets revised pricing, is far more justifiable at $60

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Recap: Sony's decision to initially price the PlayStation Classic at $99.99 was clearly a misstep and one that the company has since rectified. At $59.99, the miniature replica makes a lot more sense and is far easier to recommend.

If you’ve been on the fence with regard to purchasing a PlayStation Classic, Sony may have just made your decision a bit easier with a significant price cut.

The PlayStation Classic, Sony’s answer to Nintendo’s limited run of retro-inspired mini consoles, launched on December 3. The system carried an introductory price of $99.99, more expensive than both the NES Classic at $59.99 and the SNES Classic at $79.99.

Initial reviews of the console highlighted a number of issues. While Sony nailed the look and feel of the system, critics found issues with the game selection and the hardware’s ability to run the emulated software. The asking price was also a bit prohibitive as evident by recent price cuts.

One day removed from Christmas, the PlayStation Classic has been slashed to just $59.99 at many major retailers including Amazon, Best Buy and Target. At this new price point, it’s far easier to cope with the console’s flaws.

Presumably lackluster holiday sales will inevitably lead to the question of whether or not Sony is planning a miniature replica of its iconic PlayStation 2 console. While perhaps not as memorable as the original, the PS2 also had its fair share of great games worth revisiting.

Permalink to story.

"While perhaps not as memorable as the original, the PS2 also had its fair share of great games worth revisiting."

On one side of the coin you have Nostalgia. On the other side of the coin you have more advanced technology. I have never owned (although I've played) any generation of PlayStation.

But if I had my way. I'd ask for a PlayStation 3 classic with 20 games on a 1TB SSD for $99.00. Can we do that Sony?

I'm fantasizing right now but for the next 5 years my fingers are crossed.

:)

There is no point in buying this, even with a price decrease. Why would I buy a PS1 classic for $60 instead of simply buying $60 worth of PS1 games and playing them on my PC via emulation, WITHOUT the PAL version issues the classic has? No laws broken there either, because you are not downloading any ROMs, you can legitimately buy the games and play them via a CD player on your PC with a emulator.

At least with the nintendo systems, you have to download the ROMs, which puts you in a legal gray area. But that isnt needed with the playstation, and there are just so many better games out there they didnt include on the classic.

"While perhaps not as memorable as the original, the PS2 also had its fair share of great games worth revisiting."

On one side of the coin you have Nostalgia. On the other side of the coin you have more advanced technology. I have never owned (although I've played) any generation of PlayStation.

But if I had my way. I'd ask for a PlayStation 3 classic with 20 games on a 1TB SSD for $99.00. Can we do that Sony?

I'm fantasizing right now but for the next 5 years my fingers are crossed.

:)
Given that the PS3 is STILL SOLD in stores like gamestop, you are going to have to wait more like 15-20 years for a PS3 classic. Especially given a 1TB SSD alone is more then $99

Given that the PS3 is STILL SOLD in stores like gamestop, you are going to have to wait more like 15-20 years for a PS3 classic. Especially given a 1TB SSD alone is more then $99

And by that time, 1TB SSDs will be treated like we currently treat 256MB Memory Cards. Toss em in the drawer and treat them like old junk that we haven't got the heart to throw away yet.

Admit it, you have a drawer with a handful of old memory cards/sticks that you can't pull yourself to tossing.

Back