PlayStation Classic Review

Bought an Nvidia shield because it seemed better value for money. Cancelled my pre order on Thursday last week.

Better to just get a used PS at a garage sale and pick up the games dirt cheap... unlike the older consoles that used cartridges, the PS games on CD-Rom should still be in good condition and you can play them now... and this way you can play Gran Turismo - the best PS game ever :)

Or, you can get a used PS2 which will play both PS1 and PS2 games....

Either use an original PlayStation or the remodelled, very portable PSOne or use ePSXe emulator on the PC. Right now nothing can beat the convenience of having multiple CD images of your liking and running it with the ePSXe emulator. Even my core-M based tablet can run the PSX games very well with ePSXe.

Either use an original PlayStation or the remodelled, very portable PSOne or use ePSXe emulator on the PC. Right now nothing can beat the convenience of having multiple CD images of your liking and running it with the ePSXe emulator. Even my core-M based tablet can run the PSX games very well with ePSXe.

There are even emulator plugins for KODI as well. Having a HTPC has so many benefits. I just have a drawer of arcade sticks and controllers to plug in and play whatever.

You are all missing the point, it is just a collectible for the nostalgia ridden to put on a shelf, nobody is going to play it for more than an hour.

I kept my Playstation, my dual analog flight stick, my recoiling aftermarket Guncon and all my games and memory cards. I don't think I'll ever trade any of my systems simply because they basically can't - or won't be replaced down the line.

The original hardware is always better than the emulators.

Perfect example: I bought PS3 Slim on sale just so I could play Gradius V and Contra Shattered Soldier. The disks were on Ebay, but eway overpriced. The downside is that the PS3 controller doesn't feel like the PS2 controller and in these games, controllers can make all the difference.

And then there's the 32" CRT TV I still have. The new LCD 4K TV's like my 80" vizio can not use the Guncon or light gun.

That said: the graphics deterioration looks worse to me on Playstation Classic than on the sprite graphics from the NES/ SNES/ Genesis.

The deal killer is not being able to pop my old disks in this thing. Or - why is there no way to add a memory card and download games from PS Online? I might as well stick to PS3 slim.

Some people don't have a console or htpc, they don't really game at all and would like to have something simple they can plug and play anywhere, plus the nostalgia factor.

I hope there is a way to flash more roms into it so I'll wait before getting one, I want to give it as a gift to someone who I know will really enjoy playing the original Crash =)

While I loved a lot of these games when they were new, they don't have the same level of nostalgia as some of the first party Nintendo games from NES, SNES and N64 days. I think it's because Playstation was kind of the beginning of modern style games. For example, Resident Evil was a great game. But the more recent Resident Evil games are the same style just with improved graphics and expanded gameplay. I think the extended time gap has created more nostalgia for Nintendo systems, at least for me.

Better to just get a used PS at a garage sale and pick up the games dirt cheap... unlike the older consoles that used cartridges, the PS games on CD-Rom should still be in good condition and you can play them now... and this way you can play Gran Turismo - the best PS game ever :)

Or, you can get a used PS2 which will play both PS1 and PS2 games....

You have it in complete reverse. Cartridges are known for being durable, to last beyond a person's life time. Kids can throw them around and they will still work. While CD games are not only VERY susceptible to scratches, but also disc rot. That will kill the collector's market in the not so distant future. An even bigger issue is the disc drive. Disc drive don't really age that well, and it's a great point of failure that cartridge based system do not have. The laser could go bad, the motor, or just the ribbon.

Edit: It quoted the wrong person, I fixed it.

You have it in complete reverse. Cartridges are known for being durable, to last beyond a person's life time. Kids can throw them around and they will still work. While CD games are not only VERY susceptible to scratches, but also disc rot. That will kill the collector's market in the not so distant future. An even bigger issue is the disc drive. Disc drive don't really age that well, and it's a great point of failure that cartridge based system do not have. The laser could go bad, the motor, or just the ribbon.

Edit: It quoted the wrong person, I fixed it.
Really? Known by whom? CD's, provided they are cared for moderately well (ie: kept in a case) will remain virtually identical to what they were 30 years previous - and they can always be copied fairly easily to another CD-R if you fear any danger may come to them. Modding PS1/2 was a pretty simple affair to enable it to play CD-R (backup CDs) as a matter of course.

NES and SNES, on the other hand, are NOTORIOUS for having their cartridges degrade - plus the contact point on the consoles were easily damaged. And making "backup copies" of these cartridges was obviously not an option.

While this is obviously difficult to prove, I submit this for you as circumstantial evidence:

Try going over to ebay and searching for original NES and SNES consoles. You'll find a couple at most - mostly saying "for parts" or "as is".

Try searching for original Playstation consoles and you'll find a fair amount - many of which say "tested and working".

Yes, the PS1 is a few years younger.... but I think we can make a pretty good guess as to why there are more PS1s available :)

Back