PlayStation Network adds to its long history of downtimes

Dieter Holger

Sony's PlayStation Network (PSN) has once again caused a headache. On Tuesday, PlayStation gamers took to social media in outrage over yet another downtime of PSN. The downtime affected online games, the store, apps, messaging, and their trophy system -- just about all the major features you need PSN for.

Sony told users the network was down due to "maintenance." However, Sony never issued a warning about any planned maintenance, which makes their explanation questionable and frankly unprofessional.

Sony confirmed the outage on PSN's status page.

“You may be experiencing issues related to launching games, applications, and/or social features such as trophies, messaging, or friends list. We appreciate your patience while we address this.”

Further notices listed issues with their PlayStation Store and video unlimited service.

As of writing, the status page lists all services as operational. However, complaints continue to surface on Twitter.

PlayStation's most horrific downtime was in 2011, which lasted 23 days and compromised the information of 77 million PSN accounts. In 2014, LizardSquad, the notorious hacker group, took responsibility for a denial-of-service attack that caused PSN downtimes over the holidays. Tuesday's PSN issues can't compare to these hacks, but that doesn't mean PSN isn't regularly experiencing technical problems.

This month alone PSN went down twice, once on Friday, July 3 and again on Saturday, July 4. The technical difficulties culminated in another downtime the following Monday, July 5.

Permalink to story.

Sony does not care and never will, the network has gotten progressively worse ever since you had to pay to play online

They need to get rid of plus all together. Make online free and give 1 free game a month as an apology for the servers being down.

The joy of making the right choice to buy an xbox................I really do feel bad for those with ps4. sorry for yalls loss
Does network stability reconcile the fact that your console basically competes with PS3 when it comes to resolutions (720-900p upscaled to 1080p). Oh and PC Master Race.

Sony has never cared about online play. People need to realize that PS4 sales and PSN subscriptions are the only thing keeping Sony's electronics division afloat. They're not going to go and spend that money on upgrading their network because the ROI just isn't there.

Na you guys got it all wrong, it's cause they uploaded the new Godzilla game, that big guy is always making problems some where. :)

I called them tuesday to complain. they told me that they do maintanance "every Tuesday" and this one resulted in a network interuption. Lied STRAIGHT TO MY FACE! I regret leaving XBOX. I will return.

Sony has never cared about online play. People need to realize that PS4 sales and PSN subscriptions are the only thing keeping Sony's electronics division afloat. They're not going to go and spend that money on upgrading their network because the ROI just isn't there.

Actually, Sony cares very much about the quality and stability of their network, just as Microsoft. Standard gaming aside, note that they have heavily invested themselves in each of the following:

Video game streaming
Television streaming
Movie streaming
Music streaming

To dump millions of dollars into those projects and ignore the network because of "ROI"... doesn't even make sense.

I called them tuesday to complain. they told me that they do maintanance "every Tuesday" and this one resulted in a network interuption. Lied STRAIGHT TO MY FACE! I regret leaving XBOX. I will return.

Except... every Tuesday they do minor maintenance and update the store (occasionally breaking the latter). When did you buy your Playstation, Monday?

Do you like to purposely mislead people with patently false information? But, to answer your question, yes, network connectivity is extremely important, you can have all the extra "p's" you want, if you can't play the game they're useless. #KeepItXbox

I've never really had an issue with PSN, it always seems to be up here in the UK?

And to those above who keep saying they made the right choice chosing Xbox...
Your chosen console has been out sold by nearly double that for Playstation, Sony's network has needed to grow twice as fast, I would expect some teething problems during maintenance.

I got online customer service for a C.O.D. game I downloaded and never played except for 2 minutes. The game would not download 2 years after I bought it online. Not only did customer service suck a huge one, but they would not even give me PS store credit for a game I only got to use for 2 minutes!!! Before that I thought KIXEYE was the only evil thief gaming company.

Actually, Sony cares very much about the quality and stability of their network, just as Microsoft. Standard gaming aside, note that they have heavily invested themselves in each of the following:

Video game streaming
Television streaming
Movie streaming
Music streaming

To dump millions of dollars into those projects and ignore the network because of "ROI"... doesn't even make sense.

All of the steaming services you've mentioned bring alternate revenue sources to Sony. The return on investment is there. There is very little reason for them to invest in upgrading PSN at this point. They already have subscribers money. Sure, upgrading the network may bring in a few new subscribers. It might even keep some subscribers from dumping the service. Overall the numbers just aren't there to make it worthwhile.

All of the steaming services you've mentioned bring alternate revenue sources to Sony. The return on investment is there. There is very little reason for them to invest in upgrading PSN at this point. They already have subscribers money. Sure, upgrading the network may bring in a few new subscribers. It might even keep some subscribers from dumping the service. Overall the numbers just aren't there to make it worthwhile.

....maintaining the infrastructure critical to their revenue streams isn't worthwhile.

Do you hear yourself?

....maintaining the infrastructure critical to their revenue streams isn't worthwhile.

Do you hear yourself?

Maintaining ≠ Upgrading

Sure they'll maintain their network as needed. Don't expect any significant upgrade in service though.

Words have meaning. Learn them.

Maintaining ≠ Upgrading
Words have meaning. Learn them.

Nuance is equally as important, professor.

Sony's streaming music is delivered through the Playstation Network. Their game streaming service is delivered through the Playstation Network. Their movie and television services are delivered through the Playstation Network. Their entire positioning strategy, as laid out over the past 2 years, is dependent on the Playsation Network.

Part of maintaining an infrastructure includes upgrading it to keep pace with expected demand. In this case, demand they are deliberately trying to increase.

The little kids, casuals, & "hardcore" can have PSN & Xbox live. It's turned into a social turd fest anyways with the bullying, swearing, racism, ads, singing, screaming, etc. I can't believe people pay for that BS. If anything Sony & Microsoft should be paying people to use their god awful services. Unbelievable.

It's turned into a social turd fest anyways with the bullying, swearing, racism, ads, singing, screaming, etc. I can't believe people pay for that BS.

If your definitions are as encompassing as I think they are, you've just described every online gaming community since the 90s. Your average teamspeak server is far more "toxic" than any Destiny raid party I've ever been a part of.

The joy of making the right choice to buy an xbox................I really do feel bad for those with ps4. sorry for yalls loss
Does network stability reconcile the fact that your console basically competes with PS3 when it comes to resolutions (720-900p upscaled to 1080p). Oh and PC Master Race.

Yes the PC is a far superior machine to a console but only if you are willing to spend a lot of money (ignore the rubbish when people say crap like a ps4 is the equivalent to a 7870 you just can't do any sort of equivalents to pc hardware).

I have played batman on both next gen consoles and a pc @ 4k. Yes the pc version was clearer and sharper to look at but this was probs down to the fact it was in 4K but it was a jerky piece of **** compared to the PS4 version (which also owned the xbox one version). I only have a single 980tx in the pc which deffo can't run games like batman 4k @ 60 but still even at 1080 to get like-for-like it jerks and lags when driving around when the ps4 version doesn't and at the resolution its near if not identical in graphics. I challenge anyone here to build a pc for less than £300 that can play batman 1080p/60.

I am not a fanboy in any way shape or form, I am a pc gamer at heart (avid quake live player) but I can see that the current range of consoles easily match current high end pcs, but it won't last just, like the consoles before them, it will only be a couple of years before pcs take the lead again (maybe even soon when nvidia release their pascal chipsets) as technology advances and consoles are stuck on several year old hardware and then we we the xbox two which is release the xbox four being released..

Back