Please check over my Computer specs

Status
Not open for further replies.

N-Guy

Hi all,
My Pentium 4 2.6ghz machine just died.
Either the CPU or Motherboard is dead, I plan on doing further testing later on to confirm it but it's no longer bootable and I've decided to just buy a Quad Core.

I have the following selected, I was wondering if someone can check over it to ensure it meets my needs.

I need it to support Unreal Tournament 3, Rainbow Six Vegas 2, possibly Tom Clancy's End War and potentially up to 8 harddrives.

I'm moving over 6 harddrives from the existing computer and like to be able to add more if necessary.

I'm unsure if 1,000 Watts would be enough.
3 of the harddrives are IDE, and 3 are SATA. I plan on using an IDE PCI card on the new machine to read all the harddrives.

Specs:
---------------------------------------------
Antec Twelve Hundred Mid Tower Gamer Case 1200 ATX 12 Drive Bay No PS Top USB2.0 1394 Audio eSATA
ASUS P5Q Pro ATX LGA775 P45 DDR2 2PCI-E16 Crossfire 3PCI-E1 2PCI SATA2 Sound GBLAN eSATA Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 Quad Core Processor LGA775 2.66GHZ Yorkfield 1333FSB 6MB Retail Box
G.SKILL F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ PC2-8000 4GB 2X2GB DDR2-1000 CL5-5-5-15 240PIN Dual Channel Memory Kit
EVGA E-GEFORCE GTX 260 Superclocked 602MHZ 896MB 2.052GHZ GDDR3 Dual DVI-I HDCP HDTV Out Video Card
OCZ Elitexstream OCZ1000EXS 1000W 1KW ATX12V 20/24PIN Active PFC ATX Power Supply 120MM Fan Black

---------------------------

Thank-you for your time.

Well according to the Nvidia website, the power consumption for a 260 is 182W.. Figure you want 250 alone for the card so it has some room to breathe. The the quad core, agian 250 (thats very liberal) that gives you roughly 500 for the rest of your equipmment.

Now 100% efficiency is not going to happen so 1KW may not be reached. But regardless considering HDs are fairly low consumption, as well as ram and other devices. I think you will be ok.

You really have no other choice, unless you are willing to spend 500 to 600 dollars on a 1.2KW+ Psu. OCZ is a very reliable brand, I have also had good soild results with PC Power and Cooling (even after the OCZ takeover).You can the 1KW model, Here But agian the OCZ should do you right.

You don't need a 1kW+ supply for that setup, since your system pulls a maximum of around 500-550W. A good 650W\750W PSU like the Corsair 650TX\750TX or the PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 will do fine.

You don't need a 1kW+ supply for that setup, since your system pulls a maximum of around 500-550W. A good 650W\750W PSU like the Corsair 650TX\750TX or the PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 will do fine.

Including 6 Harddrives and possibly adding 2 more?

Thanks for the input so far.

Yep. HDDs typically pull around 10-20W of power during most read and write cycles. Upto 35W may be pulled upon startup. Still, with a PSU like the 750TX that has a beefy 720W available on the +12V rail, you don't need to worry about overloading it. Nevertheless, if you feel you should be more cautious, go for the HX1000. Data security comes before everything else IMO.

Oh, hmm well, my old PSU is 700W, I feel better going 1,000 since 700 and 750 is barely a difference.

But definitely thanks for the input :)
Glad to know it only uses 10 to 20, I thought it used 50 D:

Total wattage isn't as important as how much of that wattage is actually available on the +12V rail, which is where most components draw power from.

Hey guys,
I have the new machine built now but I noticed while playing NHL 09 or UT3 the temperature rises CPU & Core rises between 50 to 60.
Is this something I should be concerned about?

The CPU is using the stock fan and is not overclocked.

Thanks.

Don't worry about temps unless you have instability. As Rage said, those temps are fine. I feel people get over concerned with temps and end up spending excess money to keep a processor 10C lower than before, but for what reason? That 10C isn't going to hurt you, and you aren't saving energy by making it run cooler.

Are you using the stock cooler? If you are paranoid, you can buy an aftermarket cooler if you plan to overclock. If you are not overclocking, the stock cooler is adequate. 50-60 C on load is acceptable and within specifications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back