Please Help - eMachines T2885 Self Destructed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please Help, Good people.

I am trying to resurrect a dead eMachines T2885 desktop back into a working computer, in order give it to my fiance. The Power Supply (Bestec ATX-250-12E) died and took the motherboard out with it. At this point, I need to replace the MB/CPU/PSU/RAM/Heat Sink&Fan, but I hope to be able to reuse the Case, Hard Drive (will do a fresh retail install of Win XP), CD Burner, DVD drive, and FDD drive, plus I have a SoundBlaster card I can put in. Here is all the info eMachines will provide on the original specs:

eMachine T2885 Desktop
CPU: Intel Celeron 2.8 GHz
Chipset: Intel 845GV (PC 2100)
Hard Drive: 80 GB
Optical Drive: 48x Max CD-RW Drive; 16x Max DVD Drive; 3.5" 1.44MB FDD
Video: Intel Extreme Graphics 3D 64MB Shared Memory
Sound: AC '97 Audio
Network: Intel PRO 10/100Mbps built in Ethernet
Modem: 56K ITU v.92-ready Fax/Modem
Peripherals: Standard Multimedia Keyboard, 2-Button Wheele Mouse, Amplified Stereo Speakers
Ports/Other: 6 USB 2.0 ports (2 on front), 1 Serial, 1 Parallel, 2 PS/2, Audio-In & Out
Dimensions: 7.25"W x 14.125"H x 16"D

These are the components that I would like to use to resurrect this fallen machine. Will the knowledgeable people on this board please look over this list, and tell me if these components are compatible with each other, & with the case and the drives. I have tried to chose compatible parts, that will make a decent all-around machine, but I've never configured an entire system from scratch before, and this is a bit overwhelming. I'd just like to make sure I am not missing something. (I apologise for not putting in the links for each of these items. But the board rules required me to remove them, because this is my first post. For your ease of reference, everything is at NewEgg.com)

Motherboard:
(Can anyone please help me chose the right MB)
I was going to get the MSI G31M3-L V2

But after further reading, I think I would like to use the Asus P5KPL-CM
ASUS P5KPL-CM LGA 775 Intel G31 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

CPU:
Intel Pentium Dual Core E5200 2.5GHz, Wolfdale 45nm, Cache Size: 2MB Socket: Socket 775

Power Supply:
OCZ StealthXStream OCZ500SXS 500W ATX12V / EPS12V Active PFC Power Supply

CPU Fan/Heat Sink:
I can not, for the life of me, determine what HSF will actually fit into the space on the motherboard. This problem is compounded, but only slightly, by the dificulty in deciding between the two micro-ATX MB(s). At this point, I am considering just using the heat sink/fan that came with the retail version of this Intel CPU.

2 Gig of DDR2 Ram
Kingston 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory Model KVR800D2N6/2G - Retail

Later I might put in a video card or possibly upgrade the CPU, but for now, these components have pretty much used up my budget, so that will have to wait.

Thank You All for taking the time to read this.

Actually, our extensive tests show that the motherboard goes bad, causing failure of the power supply. We have been testing and storing defective eMachines since 2003 as part of legal action, since eMachines knew for a long time that certain boards were bad. Your T2885 is one of the bad ones.
It is less costly to just buy another case, and much easier. They can be found cheaply.
Since the case is merely a box with a switch, and bays to hold hard drives and optical drives, and it is too small for decent repair work.
Your selection of components is good, but expensive. The MSI may be easier than the ASUS to setup. Any of your choices will work fine. You will have a nice machine. But likely the eMachines Windows XP disks will never work in that assemblage. They must detect the emachines eeprom in order to install. It is a Microsoft issue. Some visitors to this forum have reported they can get the disks to work. But our tests show it is very rare.
Buy a new case, and Windows install disks which can be found as cheaply as $64 with a gurgle search. The optical drives will work, as will the hard drive with a "repair" install, (not a Repair Console install).
If you are merely trying to make it look like an eMachines computer, use cheaper stuff that will fit. You are working at cross purposes with a board that needs better CPU and CPU fan with heatsink, case fans and such. Also, it may rattle and make other noises when you are done.
Buy a HSF that fits the board, and a case that has space for everything. Watch your cables carefully, as the eMachines cables are not adequate for what other components you are getting.

Raybay:

Thank you for getting back to me.
If you would not mind, I have a couple of quesions.
I understand that you recomend that I replace the eMachines case.
But, when you mentioned "it is too small for decent repair work", was this limited to the eMachines' case, or were you also saying that I should not use any micro-ATX case?

Also, I am unclear on what you meant when you said "You are working at cross purposes with a board that needs better CPU and CPU fan with heatsink, case fans and such."

Was your point that, as a whole, micro-ATX motherboards are inadequate. (Wow, I sure hope not.)
Or were you saying that the motherboard is fine, but that you think that I should put in a more advanced CPU?

Thank you again for your information and advice.

I think that you should just get a full ATX case, this way if you ever decide to upgrade the motherboard and cpu, you have enough room for it. If you get a micro-ATX case, you are very limited on motherboards you can use. If you get a full ATX, you should have enough room for a bigger better motherboard/cpu heatsink. That and it also offers more expansion bays. Most times at certain websites, compusa, or the new compusa/tigerdirect, you can get a great thermaltake case with tons of fans for about 50 bucks. Might as well do that so you can upgrade later.

We were merely suggesting that you would not want to be harnessed to the eMachines case.
It really depends on only two installs... A larger power supply can provide more reliable output and can perhaps offer a cooling fan along the way. A top motherboard will require a better, usually larger, CPU fan and heat sink.
Other than those two issues, whatever you use is fine... even the eMachines case... provided circulation of cooling air is not limited.
There is a point at which the ribbon cables and other cables prevent adequate cooling. Remember that the hard drive, optical drives, and memory modules need constant airflow for reliable long life.
When you are investing money into a computer build that may last 7 years, you want to have the space for upgrades. If you plan your components first, and your case last, you end up with a better machine, it seems to me. Sometimes size is part of that planning. We all see computers now and then that are too large for the room. But as HP, Compaq, Gateway, and eMachines learned, case size has something to do with airflow, and thus, with reliability.

Should you elect to go with another MATX machine, this might make a nice case for you; http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119088

It has provision a front 120mm fan and 2 rear 80mma + a side air duct. I hate to throw business Coolermaster's way, (their CS people are a**h***s), but I have one of these, it's pretty, and breaths very well for a smaller case.

Take your time to deside, since an ATX mid tower case really isn't that much larger, but they have a whole bunch more internal volume.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back