Please help: Suffering from Abebot and Trojandownloader.XS

Status
Not open for further replies.

viv80

Hello Sir/Madam,

I just registered this forum searching for the solution for the embarrassing situation I am in. I am happy to see such a helpful forum. Thanks a lot in advance.

I get the following errors, which seem to be pretty common.

1) " Security System Protection Control Panel " TrojanDownloader.XS.
It is a White and Blue window that says 'Security system Waring"

2) A red box mentioning something like:
Alert Details
File: C:\WINDOWS\wml.exe

Threat:Abebot

3)System Integrity Scan Wizard
Warning: Your computer may have critical errors in Windows registry and file system!

4)Yellow Triangle with exclamation mark in the bottom right corner where the clock is located. Its constantly prompting me there is spyware infecting my system and is directing me to a website to download some spyware remover.

If some could please help me fix this problem i would very grateful.

I am running on Windows XP

Thanks,
viv80

Download and Run Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to your desktop.
  • Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
  • At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
  • Once the program has loaded, select Perform full scan, then click Scan.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When completed, a log will open in Notepad. please Attach the log into your next reply.
  • If you accidently close it, the log file is saved here and will be named like this: C:\Documents and Settings\<your username>\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\mbam-log-date (time).txt

Download and Run ComboFix
  • Download this file to your desktop from either of the two below listed places :

HERE or HERE
  • Then double click combofix.exe & follow the prompts.
  • When finished, it shall produce a log for you. Attach that log in your next reply
WARNING: Do not mouseclick combofix's window whilst it's running. That may cause it to stall

HighjackThis Instructions
  • Make sure you have the LATEST version of HJT (currently v2.0.2) it can be downloaded from HERE
  • Run the HijackThis Installer and it will automatically place HJT in its own folder, usually C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis. Please don't change the directory as it is necessary to create backups.
  • After installing, the program launches automatically, select Scan now and save a log
  • After the scan is complete attach the log into your reply.
Do not attempt to fix any item yet.
Do not add anything to the ignore list.
Don't use the AnalyseThis button, its findings are dangerous if misinterpreted.

Hello Kritius,

Thanks a lot for your reply. I have attached all the required log files.

viv80

Ok. Move ComboFix to the desktop and then disconnect from the internet, turn off your antivirus and any other resident monitoring software that you have and then run ComboFix again and post a fresh log.

Hello Kritius,

Please find my attached ComboFix run results with disabled network and anti-virus.

Thanks,
viv80

I am sorry in my last Combofix run, I had spyware protection on..So again I ran ComboFix without network, anti-virus and anti-spyware programs...

Thanks,
viv80

I ould also advise you to uninstall SpyHunter Security Suite, it is known to throw up false positives in order to get you to buy it,

HERE are trustworthy antispyware programs.

COMBOFIX-Script

• Please open Notepad (Start -> Run -> type notepad in the Open field -> OK) and copy and paste the text present inside the code box below:

Code:
    File::
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\SysTraymon.exe

Folder::
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\ipwxkxgb
  • Save this as CFScript.txt and change the "Save as type" to "All Files" and place it on your desktop.

CFScript.gif

• Very Important! Temporarily disable your anti-virus, script blocking and any anti-malware real-time protection before following the steps below. They can interfere with ComboFix or remove some of its embedded files which may cause "unpredictable results".
  • Referring to the screenshot above, drag CFScript.txt into ComboFix.exe.
  • ComboFix will now run a scan on your system. It may reboot your system when it finishes. This is normal.
  • When finished, it shall produce a log for you. Copy and paste the contents of the log in your next reply.
CAUTION: Do not mouse-click ComboFix's window while it is running. That may cause it to stall.

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune.

• Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
    Under Main choose: Select All
    Click the Empty Selected button.
If you use Firefox browser
  • Click Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
    NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
If you use Opera browser
  • Click Opera at the top and choose: Select All
    NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
For Technical Support, double-click the e-mail address located at the bottom of each menu.

Fix entries using HiJackThis
  • Launch HiJackThis
  • Click the Do a system scan only button
  • Put a check next to the entries listed below
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray Monitor] SysTraymon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SystemTray Monitor] SysTraymon.exe

• IMPORTANT: Do NOT click fix until you exit all browser sessions including the one you are reading in right now
  • Click the Fix checked button and close HiJackThis
  • Reboot HijackThis if necessary

I would like you to do an online scan so that we can what else may be in your system,
Run Kaspersky online scanner
With the exception of Internet Explorer, which must be used for this scan, keep ALL programs closed
Note: It is recommended to disable onboard antivirus program and antispyware programs while performing scans to speed up scan time and to make sure there are no conflicts.
Do not go surfing while your resident protection is disabled!
Once the scan is finished remember to re-enable resident antivirus protection along with whatever antispyware application you use.

Do an online scan with Kaspersky Online Scanner in Internet Explorer. You will be prompted to install and run an ActiveX component from Kaspersky, Click Yes.
Note for Internet Explorer 7 users: If at any time you have trouble with the accept button of the licence, click on the Zoom tool located at the right bottom of the IE window and set the zoom to 75%. Once the licence accepted, reset to 100%.
  • The program will launch and then start to download the latest definition files.
  • Once the scanner is installed and the definitions downloaded, click Next.
  • Now click on Scan Settings
  • In the scan settings make sure that the following are selected:
    o Scan using the following Anti-Virus database:
    o Extended (If available, otherwise use standard)
    o Scan Options:
    o Scan Archives
    o Scan Mail Bases
  • Click OK
  • Under select a target to scan, select My Computer
  • The scan will take a while so be patient and let it run.
  • Please do not use your computer while the scan is running. Once the scan is complete it will display if your system has been infected.
  • Click the Save Report As... button (see red arrow below)

Kas-SaveReport-1.gif

• In the Save as... prompt, select Desktop
  • In the File name box, name the file
  • In the Save as type prompt, select Text file (see below)

Kas-Savetxt.gif

• Include the report in your next post.

Hello Kritius,

Thanks for your suggestion of those trustworthy softwares....I have uninstalled spyhunter....It seems like Kaspersky program skipped some files....which probably because I had some programs running I guess...However it seems like my computer is still affected....Please find my attached combofix and Kaspersky reports.

Thanks,
viv80

C:\WINDOWS\system32\Sys\EDYA.007<=====Delete this file
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Sys\EDYA.exe<=====Delete this file
D:\Softwares\AVICodecPackPlus21.exe<=====Delete this file
E:\sunburner.exe<=====Delete this file
E:\Downloads\freeripmp3.exe<=====Delete this file

C:\QooBox\Quarantine\<=====Delete the contents of this folder but not the folder itself

Kaspersky skips everything, it doesnt fix things, it just lets me know where everything is.

How is the computer running now?

Hello Kritius,

Since yesterday after running....Malwarebytes and Superantispyware...never heard from Abebot or Trojandownloader..I assumed they were gone...till I saw today with some more infections....performance-wise..my computer has not changed...even when it was infected, it was working well...Should I now assume that I have got independence from virus...??...

Thanks

Cool....Thanks a lot Kritius....Keep up your good work.....It was of great help.....

Thanks again

Please download the OTMoveIt2 by OldTimer.

• Double-click OTMoveIt2.exe.
  • Click the CleanUp! button.
  • Select Yes when the "Begin cleanup Process?" prompt appears.
  • If you are prompted to Reboot during the cleanup, select Yes.
  • The tool will delete itself once it finishes, if not delete it by yourself.

Note: If you receive a warning from your firewall or other security programs regarding OTMoveIt2 attempting to contact the internet, please allow it to do so.

• Disable and Enable System Restore. - If you are using Windows XP or Vista then you should disable and re-enable system restore to make sure there are no infected files found in a restore point.

You can find instructions on how to enable and re-enable system restore here:

Windows XP System Restore Guide

or

Windows Vista System Restore Guide

Re-enable system restore with instructions from tutorial above

• Make your Internet Explorer more secure - This can be done by following these simple instructions:
  • From within Internet Explorer click on the Tools menu and then click on Options.
  • Click once on the Security tab
  • Click once on the Internet icon so it becomes highlighted.
  • Click once on the Custom Level button.
  • Change the Download signed ActiveX controls to Prompt
  • Change the Download unsigned ActiveX controls to Disable
  • Change the Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe to Disable
  • Change the Installation of desktop items to Prompt
  • Change the Launching programs and files in an IFRAME to Prompt
  • Change the Navigate sub-frames across different domains to Prompt
  • When all these settings have been made, click on the OK button
  • If it prompts you as to whether or not you want to save the settings, press the Yes button.
  • Next press the Apply button and then the OK to exit the Internet Properties page.

• Update your AntiVirus Software - It is imperitive that you update your Antivirus software at least once a week (Even more if you wish). If you do not update your antivirus software then it will not be able to catch any of the new variants that may come out.

• Visit Microsoft's Windows Update Site Frequently - It is important that you visit http://www.windowsupdate.com regularly. This will ensure your computer has always the latest security updates available installed on your computer. If there are new updates to install, install them immediately, reboot your computer, and revisit the site until there are no more critical updates.
  • Install Spybot - Search and Destroy - Install and download Spybot - Search and Destroy with its TeaTimer option.

This will provide real-time spyware & hijacker protection on your computer alongside your virus protection. You should also scan your computer with program on a regular basis just as you would an anti virus software. A tutorial on installing & using this product can be found here:

Instructions for Spybot S & D

• Install SpywareBlaster - SpywareBlaster will added a large list of programs and sites into your Internet Explorer settings that will protect you from running and downloading known malicious programs.

A tutorial on installing & using this product can be found here:

Using SpywareBlaster to protect your computer from Spyware and Malware

• Update all these programs regularly - Make sure you update all the programs I have listed regularly. Without regular updates you WILL NOT be protected when new malicious programs are released.
Follow this list and your potential for being infected again will reduce dramatically.

Here are some additional utilities that will enhance your safety

• MVPS Hosts file <= The MVPS Hosts file replaces your current HOSTS file with one containing well know ad sites etc. Basically, this prevents your computer from connecting to those sites by redirecting them to 127.0.0.1 which is your local computer
  • Comodo BOCLEAN <= Stop identity thieves from getting personal information. Instantly detects well over 1,000,000 unique, variant and repack malware in total. And it's free.
  • Winpatrol <= Download and install the free version of Winpatrol. a tutorial for this product is located here:
    Using Winpatrol to protect your computer from malicious software

Stand Up and Be Counted ---> Malware Complaints <--- where you can make difference!

The site offers people who have been (or are) victims of malware the opportunity to document their story and, in that way, launch a complaint against the malware and the makers of the malware.

Also, please read this great article by Tony Klein So How Did I Get Infected In First Place

Thanks again...Kritius.....This is the first time I have been affected by spyware....I shall definitely follow your instructions....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back