Please Help With Windows XP Lock-ups

Status
Not open for further replies.

bassaddict

Hello,
Recently my computer started freezing. thinking it might be a driver issue i tryed updating but still it froze. next i cheeked for viruses, cleaned the registry, cleaned the hard drive, ran dskchk. that was all fine.
My rig:
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
RAM: Corsair CM3X2G1333C9DHX 2048 MBytes X2
MOBo: Ausus P5Q3
GPU: ATI Radeon HD 4870
runningprime95 large FFTs
core 0 core 1 core 2 core 3
max temp 51 45 48 47

still freezing.

it seems to happen at random, its common in games but that could because i play games a lot...... its also happened when minimizing Firefox and i think while browsing.

Event viewer reports Critical error Kernel-Power ID:41

thats was the situaltion but on my last thread people thougth it may have been windows 7 so i formated my harddrive and installed windows xp profetional and went through the motions again(updated drivers, ran chkdsk ect.) and stil it freezzes

Thank you in advance for any and all reply's

Hi there,

Could you please attach the most recent 4-5 mini dump files to your next post, so that someone may debug them and narrow down the issue. They can be found in

Start > My Computer > Local Disk C: > Windows > Minidump

You can zip the files into a folder if they are too big

Thank you for such a quick reply
i looked in Start > My Computer > Local Disk C: > Windows but couldnt find a mini dump folder

ahh sorry there has been no BSOD the computer just freezzes without warning and im left with the last sound that was playing repeting on a very shoort loop

No problem, sometimes the computer isn't configured to log its memory dumps.

Have a read of this Microsoft article on the Event ID you are getting.

You may need to reset your performance counters, if you follow through with their command line based fix. Hopefully it helps, let us know the outcome

im about to start reading because no i havent. now im in win xp i dont seem to be getting Critical error Kernel-Power ID:41
infact there are no Critical errors now

Did you run any scans on your memory at all, during the earlier diagnostic?

Sorry, initial post was a bit confusing as to whether you still got the same error

yeah i tryed running memtest for about 6 pass's and it came up with nothing i also tryed running each stick by itself and still it froze.

also that page says Event Source: WinMgmt
my event source was kernel-power

winmgmt /clearadap
winmgmt /resyncperf "winmgmt service pid"
ive tryed running these through cmd but for some reason nothing happens and im sure im typing it corectly

also that page says Event Source: WinMgmt

Let's get the whole Error! You are looking for Error that corresponds with the time of the freeze. Copying the Error will give the Event ED#, the Source and the description. We go from there.

Start> Run> type in eventvwr

Do this on each the System and the Applications logs:

• [1]. Click to open the log>
    [2]. Look for the Error>
    [3] .Right click on the Error> Properties>
    [4]. Click on Copy button, top right, below the down arrow >
    [5]. Paste here (Ctrl V)
    [6].NOTES
    • You can ignore Warnings and Information Events.
    • If you have a recurring Error with same ID#, same Source and same Description, only one copy is needed.
    • You don't need to include the lines of code in the box below the Description, if any.
    • Please do not copy the entire Event log.

Errors are time coded. Check the computer clock on freeze.

Two clues to start you off:
    1.winmgmt /clearadap
    How to troubleshoot WinMgmt-based performance counter errors:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/266416

2. winmgmt /resyncperf "winmgmt service pid"
    http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=41&eventno=633&source=WinMgmt&phase=1

sorry if my posts are a little confusing, im trying.
these are all the Applications and the System logs excluding Warnings and Information Events
Application

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Windows Search Service
Event Category: Gatherer
Event ID: 3013
Date: 6/07/2009
Time: 9:20:52 p.m.
User: N/A
Computer: PINEAPPLE-YETTI
Description:
The entry <C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\ALL USERS\START MENU\PROGRAMS\DAEMON TOOLS LITE\UNINSTALL.LNK> in the hash map cannot be updated.

Context: Application, SystemIndex Catalog

Details:
A device attached to the system is not functioning. (0x8007001f)

Event Source: Windows Search Service
Event Category: Gatherer
Event ID: 3024
Time: 10:01:58 a.m.
Description:
The update cannot be started because the content sources cannot be accessed. Fix the errors and try the update again.

Context: Application, SystemIndex Catalog

Event Source: SescLU
Event Category: None
Event ID: 13
Date: 5/07/2009
Time: 9:05:40 p.m.
Description:
LiveUpdate returned a non-critical error. Available content updates may have failed to install.

Event Source: ASP.NET 1.0.3705.6060
Event Category: (1)
Event ID: 1031
Time: 8:47:26 p.m.
Description:
The description for Event ID ( 1031 ) in Source ( ASP.NET 1.0.3705.6060 ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: 0x80040154.

Event Source: SescLU
Event ID: 13
Time: 4:37:14 p.m.
Description:
LiveUpdate returned a non-critical error. Available content updates may have failed to install.

Event Source: MsiInstaller
Event ID: 10005
Time: 4:06:44 p.m.
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Description:
The description for Event ID ( 10005 ) in Source ( MsiInstaller ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Product: Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 1 -- Error 2004.Method GetFontCacheDataFolder failed. HRESULT: 0x80004005., (NULL), (NULL), (NULL), (NULL), , .

System

Event Source: sptd
Event ID: 4
Time: 2:55:49 p.m.
Description:
Driver detected an internal error in its data structures for .

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:

Event Source: Dhcp
Event ID: 1001
Time: 11:57:38 a.m.
Description:
Your computer was not assigned an address from the network (by the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 7A7900000000. The following error occurred:
The semaphore timeout period has expired. . Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event ID: 7000
Time: 7:06:31 p.m.
Description:
The vsdatant service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the file specified.

Event Source: Dhcp
Event ID: 1002
Time: 6:07:47 p.m.
Description:
The IP address lease 5.0.0.17 for the Network Card with network address 7A7900000001 has been denied by the DHCP server 0.0.0.1 (The DHCP Server sent a DHCPNACK message).

Event Source: Setup
Event ID: 60055
Time: 4:10:28 p.m.
Description:
Windows Setup encountered non-fatal errors during installation. Please check the setuperr.log found in your Windows directory for more information.

ill have to wait for another freeze to get the clock time and ill repost any logs matching that time

i also noticed when i try typing "winmgmt /clearadap" in to comand prompt i get this in event viewer

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: WinMgmt
Event ID: 40
Date: 7/07/2009
Time: 1:27:24 p.m.
Description:
WMI ADAP was unable to create the object Win32_PerfRawData_ASPNET_2050727_ASPNETAppsv2050727 for Performance Library ASP.NET_2.0.50727 because error 0x80041001 was returned

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: WinMgmt
Event ID: 35
Time: 1:27:24 p.m.
Description:
WMI ADAP was unable to load the ASP.NET_2.0.50727 performance library because it returned invalid data: 0x0

Nice job. I am shutting down for the night now. I will be back early tomorrow to review the Errors.

you guys are awsome, out there trying to help people like me asking for not much more then our thanks and believe me you have it.

btw... suggest you modify these settings in XP whether to help with this (or other future) problems

This will generate a minidump after any BSOD (blue screen) crash AND will prevent XP from auto restarting so you can see any BSOD screen data yourself before you manual restart the machine when you're ready

Rt click My Computer->Properties->Advanced. Then click Settings button under Startup And Recovery
> Check Write event to system log
> Uncheck Automatically Restart
> Select pulldown option to write Small Memory Dumps
> The default Small Dump directory you'll see appear (and in the image below) translates to your C:\Windows\minidump directory

Thank you for the post. that was one of the first thing i did after installing xp, if it was ging to freeze i wanted to catch it.

Just as an added suggestion.

Have you checked to make sure the computer is not overheating? A bit of a long shot, but worth a look.

Try running speedfan on the machine and see what the temp readings are

after it freezzing once more i have this error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event ID: 7001
Time: 4:12:15 p.m.
Description:
The TrueVector Internet Monitor service depends on the vsdatant service which failed to start because of the following error:
The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.

I would suggest reinstalling Zone Alarm as the TrueVector Internet Monitor, is apart of this software and is known for causing these related problems.

As instructed by Zone Alarm themselves, uninstall the program in safemode. If just simply reinstalling does not solve the problem. Then it may require a full manual remove of all ZA related files, including reg keys (hopefully we dont have to go there)

this was when i was in windows 7
runningprime95 large FFTs
core 0 core 1 core 2 core 3
max temp 51 45 48 47

ok ill uninstal now

ive tryed running prime95 In-Place Large FFTs and evertime i do the machine restarts or takes me to an empty black screen and i have to restart

Well, you have three helpers now and that might be confusing. I will work with the information in the Event Errors and try to help you find resolution.

Note: My general rule when working in the Event Viewer is to ignore Warnings- if they don't resolve, they will become Errors. They can be significant IF there is a problem every time you try to complete a function, but otherwise, I ignore.

I am working on the Errors now- putting together time sequences to see if I can track down a common problem. I will be back as soon as I finish this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back