Please recommend an excellent FPS

XXX82XXX

Hello all,

I am looking for an excellent FPS with a long champaign. I don't have any interest in multi player gaming.
The last game I played with a long and enjoyable campaign was Far Cry. Far cry 2 isn't a patch on the first one. I also played Crysis which was very good but rather short. Does anyone know of a game similar to Half Life 2?
Anyway, if you have any suggestions please let me know.

Thanks

Asrock Z68 Extreme 4
i5 2500K
8GB RAM
ATI 5770

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl and follow on games are long single player games. Although they are more open world/RPG style than HL2. Less strict guided narrative but still with a strong back story and overall objective/goal you are working towards.

I would second Arris's suggestion. STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl is a very immersive game (as are the prequel "Clear Sky" and sequel "Call of Pripyat"). I'd suggest a play through of the vanilla game with Artistpavel's "Complete" mod.

If you're looking for a real challenge I would suggest you give the Narodnaya Solijanka mod a try (although you should play through the vanilla game first). I've played through virtually every iteration of the game- including the vanilla game many times- NS still required 500+ hours over 6+ months to fully complete gameplay.

Thanks guys,
Thought no one would bite! I have the two Stalker games. I only played the first one for a few minutes. Must give it a go over Christmas.

Cheers

Assassin's Creed is supposed to be amazing if you are more into the strategy type than the all out shoot em up!

I snatched up the STALKER series because of all the good things I keep hearing about them. Let's hope for the best :)

If you like a bit of rpg thrown in I would suggest Mass Effect, The first was decidedly the best, it is also the longest (so far) in the second they kinda ruined the lore by adding "ammo"

If you like a bit of rpg thrown in I would suggest Mass Effect, The first was decidedly the best, it is also the longest (so far) in the second they kinda ruined the lore by adding "ammo"
Yeah both I think are worth spending the time on. The combat is a bit console style but overall very good.

Deus EX: HR. The campaign can last about 25 hours. I, personally, put in over a 100. Just couldn't stop playing. There are very different ways you can take the game each playthrough.

120 is excellent! 60 is optimal....

j/k. I fully recommend Half Life 3... oh wait....

In all seriousness, I've found my favorite fps in a single player situation to be Portal, HL2, STALKER (though I couldn't get "into" it I did play it some and found it fun), and Mass Effect.

I would say Dead Island. Its not exactly a full on FPS but definitely a great story line. I wouldnt say its very long but it is rather long, have a look!

I'm going to suggest Arma II and Arma II Operation Arrowhead. It's a reality-based game, though, and -- judging by the games you say you've enjoyed -- that may be one of the cons for you. Also, to get the most of the game, you'll have to be willing to invest some real effort on the editor. It's an acquired taste.

You can create your own campaigns with the editor -- everything from the storyline, to the music, the maps, the scenarios, down to the weapons and the amount of ammo each AI or player carries. It's a DX9 game, but the graphics can at times be so good for you'd think you're watching combat footage from the news. I think there's a free version out now -- not sure as to what the limitations of that version are, though.

Wow - people are really polarized on this title - BF3. I'm on the BF3 campaign was good except for the minor hangup here or there side of the fence - and the eyecandy if you have enough horsepower really put it over the top. The audio was incredible... too bad EA is the opposite.

Wow - people are really polarized on this title - BF3. I'm on the BF3 campaign was good except for the minor hangup here or there side of the fence - and the eyecandy if you have enough horsepower really put it over the top. The audio was incredible... too bad EA is the opposite.
i played it on ultra with everything on max and except for the flying scene you don't notice the backgrounds and actually MF3 makes you feel like you actually in the world much better, just felt like the designed the backdrops and then just wacked the other units into it without thinking about it, all the physics were so off

Back