Plexamp is a Winamp-inspired standalone music player for macOS and Windows

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Plex this week launched Plex Labs, a new section of the company focused on sharing internal passion projects (think Netflix Hack Day) and community projects. The initiative is also tasked with sharing technical write-ups on Medium but that’s a discussion for a different day.

The first project to emerge from Plex Labs is Plexamp, a lightweight music player inspired by arguably the greatest music playing software of all time – Winamp. The idea for Plexamp started over a beer and quickly blossomed into a project that was worked on by a handful of people at Plex in their spare time. Its creators love music and they love Plex so merging the two only seemed natural.

Plexamp is a macOS and Windows app that pulls music from your existing Plex music library and presents it in a neat desktop interface. It works like a native media app meaning media keys for tasks like skipping tracks and pausing are all functional. Plexamp is compatible with “just about any music format you could dream of,” works in offline mode and is remote controllable / can be used to remote control other Plex players.

Plexamp also offers a global activation hotkey, gapless playback, soft transitions, visualizations and album art extraction which takes key colors from album artwork to use for various purposes like creating optimal opacity values for overlays and providing a palette for the visualizers.

It doesn’t stop there, however, as Plexamp can also normalize playback volume, improve transitions between tracks, create a graphical view of a track, create personalized radio stations and more. I don’t usually get too excited about new software but this has certainly garnered my attention.

Plexamp is available to download from our downloads section. If you’re at all into music and / or loved Winamp, it sounds like it’s worth a try.

Permalink to story.

Awesome! I used Winamp for everything back in the day. As it became outdated and music streaming became more popular, I let my music library drift to the wayside. Would be nice to get it organized again...I'll be giving this a try.

Not bad, but I get most of my music from Spotify these days. I imagine most people get their music in a similar fashion. It would be hard to switch at this point.

I use ZoomPlayer as an audio and video player, because of it's bookmark functions. Press g, and you can add a bookmark. It creates a bookmark file in the directory, and that's kind of important, because then I can transfer it to other computers.

If anyone knows of another player that can do that, let me know. Especially if they have a Windows and Android version.

This program has absolutely nothing in common with Winamp besides the fact they both play music files so I I've no idea what the devs are talking about. Due to its advanced smart playlists and many plugins, Winamp has never been equaled. Sadly, considering the lazy, slipshod efforts that pass for coding these days its never likely to be again.

Back