PNY 8400GS Power requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.
I purchased an PNY GeForce 8400 GS graphics card and it says I need at least 300 watts of power. My computer only has 230. Can I still use it safely without upgrading my power supply?

thanks

Alan

I wouldn't

It may put too much stress on the Card trying to draw the power (that isn't there!)

Update the PSU to around 500Watt area

I have 90watts and the card loaded up and worked just fine, but playing games on it was horrible, because my computer couldn't handle it. You have 230, i would say go for it. Just make sure you have a huge tower, the card is not made for small towers, its a big card.

You have the PCI version right?

Maybe so. But I was going by this:
I purchased an PNY GeForce 8400 GS graphics card and it says I need at least 300 watts of power

But what do those Video card Manufacture's know, oh yeah everyhing. :rolleyes:

If his computer is powerful and he has 230watts, the card should run alright on this computer. When i was using the 2400HD PCI , it requires 270 and it works just fine on my computer, play games perfectly( for those that worked anyway ) and also , the temps on the card stayed at 35-45c most of the time.

General, u said it u're self it will not do anything other than surf the net with too little power. he needs a better PSU if he is going to use that card.

I never said that, someone bought the 8400GS , he post over at guru3d and he can play Bioshock and hellgate at pretty good settings. The 8400GS is a good card, you just need a good computer to use it. 230watts should be enough.

I think the OP should test it out. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back