Pogoplug launches $49 Safeplug to anonymize your home's web traffic

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Anonymity on the Internet is more of a concern now that ever in the wake of continued spying revelations by the National Security Agency. There are methods like the Tor network to remain more or less hidden online but it can be somewhat complicated to set up and use. To that end, a company called Pogoplug aims to simplify the process with a new product known as the Safeplug.

The adapter connects to your home router and uses Tor to anonymize all web requests that pass through the device, saving you the hassle of having to launch a special browser each time you want to hit the net anonymously. The device routes your traffic through random connections which is said to make it harder to track.

pogoplug safeplug anonymous internet

The Safeplug doesn’t require users to install any software on their computer and is compatible with any browser. It’s worth pointing out, however, that the company doesn’t guarantee that all of your traffic will be anonymous all of the time but hey, it’s better than nothing, right? There’s also a built-in ad blocker so you’ll no longer have to use a software solution if you’re concerned about blocking advertisements.

Pogoplug says those using the Safeplug will likely notice reductions in overall Internet speed and page loading times due to the nature of the Tor network and the fact that your traffic is being bounced to computers around the globe to remain anonymous.

The Safeplug is available as of writing for $49 plus shipping through the company’s online store.

Permalink to story.

"It?s worth pointing out, however, that the company doesn?t guarantee that all of your traffic will be anonymous all of the time"

So, does this mean "It?s worth pointing out, however, that the company doesn?t guarantee your traffic will be anonymous" if they are presented with a warrant by the NSA??

Sounds like an over-priced ad blocker, to me, especially if it somehow connects back to the company that is selling this.

The "Tor" network itself doesn't "guarantee" that you will remain completely anonymous either. That is a given. The "Tor" network makes your internet activities more difficult to track but not impossible, if I understand it correctly.

"There are methods like the Tor network to remain more or less hidden online but it can be somewhat complicated to set up and use." Complicated to setup? Well, I guess that could be true, if your in the less than 7 or older than 72 group. For a normal person with an average knowledge of computers its pretty simple if you download the "Tor Browser Bundle". All I did was install it and double-click the .exe to launch the Tor browser and it just works. Pretty easy from my experience. $50 for a box that does the same thing? Yeah...not for me.

Tor seems simple enough to use in my experience, often useful for viewing content on foreign sites with location blocks. for $49 this box really needs to offer better quality and functionality than tor for anyone to be buy it.

I got this device. It activates OK, but next step, configuration fails. I tried many times, I tried with several browsers...
So, in a nut shell, it doesn't works, my IP is still visible and trackers are still present on web pages I visit.

But what really sucks is, there is no technical support phone number to call :-(
Conversation and help is going through email, you are waiting for response, where you can get some silly requests, such as, what email I used to activate my pogoplug device? Well, no email, it is safeplug not pogoplug!

It is frustrating! I see on Amazon, there are many unhappy with their other product.
I'm thinking to just send it back and be done with it! Someone else will/should come up with better product sooner or later.
In the mean time I can just use Tor bundle

Back