Popup every 10 minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.

ALHLindsay

Error: (login): 0x10e0 The operator or administrator has refused the request

I followed the 8-step procedure and have attached requested documents. I hope you can help clear this certainly annoying and possibly dangerous problem.

Attachments

• hijackthis.log
    6.1 KB · Views: 5
Thanks for the response. I updated to IE8 and ran the scanner. It found a trojan in the PowerDVD player and eliminated it but the popups persist.

Okay ALHLindsay,
I guess the damage has been done. We can still get this resolved, but it will take some deeper cleaning, with some other tools and procedures... Looks like you still have an active trojan virus working. Is Avast updating properly and running?

Welcome to TechSpot, ALHLindsay. My apology for the delay and the time that has been wasted.

What pop-ups are you getting every 10 minutes? Are you referring to the error message
Error: (login): 0x10e0 The operator or administrator has refused the request
?

This error normally relates to an attempt to access a network (WEB) resource which you do not have access right to, does it happen when using some form of remote access system? (most activity with this error seems to involve Logmein),

It appears the your opening screen is for CHKDSK
(C:\WINDOWS\system32\chkdskl.exe)
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [chkdskl.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\chkdskl.exe
Have you tried running it?

This indicates there is some error that needs to be resolved. I recommend that you set it up to run with both fix and scan options. Reboot the computer and it should start in a few seconds.

I notice that you are loading a process for 'plunder updoad and share'
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [cbdll] C:\Documents and Settings\Home PC\WindowsApplication2.exe

This appears to be in the P2P or File Sharing class.

The Eset online scan is not indicated at this point. IT sounds like there is a system problem that needs to be corrected.

I received an email that stated it was a reply to this thread by AnonymousSurfer saying:

Here is the message that has just been posted:
Hi ALHLindsay,

According to HijackThis, you may have a Trojan. Please re-open HijackThis, and click on *System Scan Only*. Then check off the following file.
* *O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [chkdskl.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\chkdskl.exe*

Then post if the problem still consists.

Curiously, I don't see this message in the thread!? Anyway, I did as AnonymousSurfer suggested and the popup has not re-appeared and no, I didn't try running it first - I'm a bit leery or running programs under suspicion. Should I remove the line referring to Application2 'cos I don't seem to have an exe of that name?

Neither AnonymousSurfer nor Tmagic are qualified to give malware cleaning advice and both have been asked to refrain form posting in this forum. The instructions are neither correct or complete.

I would like you to run the Error checking-CHKDSK. This is a function of the operating system that can automatically fix file system errors and also scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors.

This feature is loading and you need to run it and see if that resolves the error you are getting. Any system problem needs to be separated from the effects-if any-of malware.

Please do the following:
Start> Settings> Control Panel> My Computer> Right click on Local Drive (C)> Properties> Tools tab> check 'Error Checking"> Check both boxes on the screen that comes up (these are the fix and scan features)> OK.

Close the message that comes up and reboot the computer. Let the Error checking run completely. It may take a while if you haven't been doing it regularly. The system will reboot itself when finished.

Please follow with this:

TFC (Temp File Cleaner)

Download TFC to your desktop
  • Open the file and close any other windows.
  • It will close all programs itself when run, make sure to let it run uninterrupted.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. The program should not take long to finish its job
  • Once its finished it should reboot your machine, if not, do this yourself to ensure a complete clean

TFC only cleans temp folders. TFC will not clean URL history, prefetch, or cookies. Depending on how often someone cleans their temp folders, their system hardware, and how many accounts are present, it can take anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or more. TFC will completely clear all temp files where other temp file cleaners may fail. TFC requires a reboot immediately after running. Be sure to save any unsaved work before running TFC.

TFC (Temp File Cleaner) will clear out all temp folders for all user accounts (temp, IE temp, java, FF, Opera, Chrome, Safari), including Administrator, All Users, LocalService, NetworkService, and any other accounts in the user folder.
Parts of this malware are in temp files.

It is also in the System Restore points- please do no use this feature. I will have you drop the old restore points and set a new clean one when we have finished.

If it does not, please rescan with HijackThis and paste the new log in your next reply.

The Trojan.Inject has been identified on your system. This Trojan may be dropped by other malware. It may be installed manually by a user. It may be downloaded unknowingly by a user when visiting malicious Web sites.

Bobbye,
I have had many, many more years of dealing with computer problems than you have. My advice in this thread has been simply to ask and provide beginning steps toward malware cleaning. Asking a member to run a simple on-line scan or provide more info is neither incorrect or wrong. I am getting very tired of your condescending attitude. It is time for you to apologize!

I received an email that stated it was a reply to this thread by AnonymousSurfer saying:

Here is the message that has just been posted:
Hi ALHLindsay,

According to HijackThis, you may have a Trojan. Please re-open HijackThis, and click on *System Scan Only*. Then check off the following file.
* *O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [chkdskl.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\chkdskl.exe*

Then post if the problem still consists.

Curiously, I don't see this message in the thread!? Anyway, I did as AnonymousSurfer suggested and the popup has not re-appeared and no, I didn't try running it first - I'm a bit leery or running programs under suspicion. Should I remove the line referring to Application2 'cos I don't seem to have an exe of that name?

"O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [chkdskl.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\chkdskl.exe"

Bleeping Computer says that this file could be a sign of a backdoor trojan infection. If so, the popups may return

Bobbye, thanks for your response and apologies for the delay in getting back to you. I started this thread to fix a problem on my Daughter's computer I had found during a visit there. Unfortunately, they live some 4 hours up country from me and farm life means it's difficult to reach them and get actions taken. I am working on getting your suggestions implemented.

You're welcome. Next time you connect, update and rescan with the 3 programs. Give us the 3 new logs.

Also describe ongoing or current problem- if any.

Bobbye, thanks for your response and apologies for the delay in getting back to you. I started this thread to fix a problem on my Daughter's computer I had found during a visit there. Unfortunately, they live some 4 hours up country from me and farm life means it's difficult to reach them and get actions taken. I am working on getting your suggestions implemented.

So have you been on the phone or texting this help to your daughter? Tough job! I how she knows her was around a computer. Good luck, and Happy Holidays!

I am one person who does not have a cell phone. I have never sent a text message. Possibly others find existence possible without one!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back