Porsche and Boeing are teaming up to create an electric 'flying car'

midian182

TechSpot Editor
Staff member

Both firms will collaborate on building and testing a prototype of the vehicle based on the concept design. They'll also look at the potential market and various uses for premium air services.

Few other details of the vehicle were revealed, but you can see an artist’s rendering of what it might look like at the top of the page.

"This collaboration builds on our efforts to develop a safe and efficient new mobility ecosystem, and provides an opportunity to investigate the development of a premium urban air mobility vehicle with a leading automotive brand," said Boeing VP Steve Nordlund, in a statement.

This isn’t Boeing’s first foray into the VTOL market. At the start of the year, one of the flight company's subsidiaries, Aurora Flight Sciences, revealed that its latest air vehicle prototype had completed its first-ever autonomous test flight, though test hover might be a better description.

Last week saw the Larry Page-backed Kitty Hawk reveal Project Heaviside, a secret project it had been working on for two years. Another electric VTOL aircraft, the machine is said to be 100 times quieter than a helicopter and has a 100-mile range.

Permalink to story.

Uncle Al

TS Evangelist
With the number of flying car projects going on out there I can't help but believe that these companies MUST be having detailed discussions with the FAA. While having a 100% autonomous flying vehicle would appear to solve all flight problems, the rider will HAVE to have the ability to take over in case of technical failure and flight controls can only be simplified to a certain point. I've had and maintained my private pilot's license since I was 23 years old, during that time I have flown multi-engine, single-engine, sail planes and a few simple stick aircraft. No matter how simple the controls, the operator still needs certain skills not to mention situational awareness.

It will certainly be interesting to see how these companies are able to navigate these issues and I can only imagine what the insurance costs will be for these craft. Ain't no free lunch!!!

3volv3d

TS Addict
With the number of flying car projects going on out there I can't help but believe that these companies MUST be having detailed discussions with the FAA. While having a 100% autonomous flying vehicle would appear to solve all flight problems, the rider will HAVE to have the ability to take over in case of technical failure and flight controls can only be simplified to a certain point. I've had and maintained my private pilot's license since I was 23 years old, during that time I have flown multi-engine, single-engine, sail planes and a few simple stick aircraft. No matter how simple the controls, the operator still needs certain skills not to mention situational awareness.

It will certainly be interesting to see how these companies are able to navigate these issues and I can only imagine what the insurance costs will be for these craft. Ain't no free lunch!!!
Does this idea just not seem like a load of crap though ? People can't even drive properly. Speeding, Texting while driving.
It would have to be automated. It would have to... no I don't get it, cause you can't just be driving down the road and think I will go above this traffic... and land over there randomly...

What would this even achieve, because clearing up the traffic issues we have, this is not the answer at all.

Lionvibez

TS Evangelist
It will be automated for sure.

There are tons of people that just can't drive. And that number will be exponentially bigger for those that can't fly. Not to mention insurance company will probably want you to have a pilots license to manual fly.

It will be the future no doubt but it will be an automated one.

Reactions: Danny101