Porsche unveils the Taycan 4S, a much cheaper variant of its sporty EV

midian182

Staff member
In brief: Porsche has already shown off the Turbo and Turbo S versions of its electric Taycan sports car. Now, the automaker has unveiled a cheaper option that still has plenty of power: the Taycan 4S.

The Taycan 4S is available with two distinct battery packs offering different levels of performance. The entry-level model features a 79.2 kilowatt-hour lithium-ion battery powering the two electric motors on each axle with 429 HP and 472 pound-feet of torque. This increases briefly to 522 HP when using launch control. The car can do 0-60 in just 3.8 seconds and has a limited top speed of 155 mph.

Porsche is also offering a “Performance Battery Plus” option that bumps the battery up to a 93.4-kilowatt-hour version, which is the same found in the Taycan Turbo and Turbo S. It produces 482 hp (563 with launch control) and 479 pounds-feet of torque. Acceleration and speed are the same as the base model, though the range will be improved. Porsche still hasn’t revealed how far either vehicle can travel on a single charge, but it did say US EPA range estimates will be available before they go on sale.

The Taycan 4S shares most of the more expensive Turbo variants' components and features, including the 800-volt charging system, yet it comes with a substantially lower price. The standard version with the 79.2kWh battery costs $103,800, while the 93.4kWh option is $110,380. The Taycan Turbo, meanwhile, starts at $150,900, and the Turbo S model starts at $185,000. All prices exclude the $1,350 charge for processing, delivery, and handling.

Both Taycan 4S models will arrive at US dealerships in spring next year.

Permalink to story.

What is cheaper, in the world of Porsche? They are offering Taycan for 1.5 times more money than Tesla Model S with all options, while at the same time with inferior range, by about 100 miles, which is significant.

Porsche is a brand for customers who do not like to count their money. The interior is better, but the cost of servicing is one of the worst. And as far the the value goes, for an electric vehicle, this one is right at the bottom. There is a good choice now of quality electrical cars well capable of 250 miles range, priced at less than half of what Porsche wants for Taycan, like the new Jaguar I-Pace, and more of them are coming soon.

Last edited:
"Porsche has already shown off the Turbo and Turbo S versions of its electric Taycan sports car."

Please delete the word "Turbo" which is a stupid name for an EV...!

What is cheaper, in the world of Porsche? They are offering Taycan for 1.5 times more money than Tesla Model S with all options, while at the same time with inferior range, by about 100 miles, which is significant.

Porsche is a brand for customers who do not like to count their money. The interior is better, but the cost of servicing is one of the worst. And as far the the value goes, for an electric vehicle, this one is right at the bottom. There is a good choice now of quality electrical cars well capable of 250 miles range, priced at less than half of what Porsche wants for Taycan, like the new Jaguar I-Pace, and more of them are coming soon.

Yes, Porsche is more expensive than Tesla Model S, and it has inferior range, and there are other cars with longer range... but you've forget the Porsche Effect. It's similar to Axe Effect, except that it works for real.

Yep, and not only that but the Tesla is faster. So even the car guys would not choose it. Unfortunately still many years later no one is even trying. Tesla which in the world of cars can be considered young startup is light years ahead of the behemoths of the industry... It is going to be interesting once the EVs start to really take of when the production catches up.

Porsche makes nice cars, and also good cars. While I am a Tesla driver and fan, I have no doubt these will be nice cars. You may have to pay a fair bit more outside Germany for the Porsche badge, hopefully you will get some good styling to make up for it. It may handle better than a Tesla, Porsche does well there. I don't really care that the range is lower and the 0-100 time lower, that's just bragging rights and it will be awesome like all top-end EV's, plus we (Tesla owners) had no problem when we had 60, then 85kW/h packs and I have no problem with my S85D's 4.2 time.

The only thing that makes me worry a bit is - that gearbox. Telsa didn't stick one in, and one of the reasons was, it's hard to design one that will take the strain, particularly if people do launches often. The single reduction gear in the Tesla was hard enough. I wonder how the gear change from low to high works, is there a clutch in there?

The only thing that makes me worry a bit is - that gearbox. Telsa didn't stick one in, and one of the reasons was, it's hard to design one that will take the strain, particularly if people do launches often. The single reduction gear in the Tesla was hard enough. I wonder how the gear change from low to high works, is there a clutch in there?

Yes, from what I've read, they've made use of a dog clutch for the two-speed gearbox. It should wear less and help with the car's range by making it FWD when it's not being thrashed.

Back