Solved Possible malware, as well as a error given by 'registry' from a couple of scanning softwares.

I came back home from summer school today to find that my laptop was 'dead'; black screened, unresponsive. My wired keyboard and mouse were lit up and doing their fancy lighting programming, but when I tried hitting something like caps lock or number lock, the 'on' light didn't change. When I unplugged the mouse and keyboard, and then re-plugged them in, they didn't turn on. I restarted my laptop by holding down the power button, and then pressed it again when it was off. Everything seems fine right now, I'm currently using the laptop to post this thread. Anyways, when I did some virus scanning, nothing showed up as malware. I used IObit Malware fighter (free), Security Task Manager (Free 30 Day Trial), and FreeFixer v1.17 (free). The IObit program gave me nothing. I looked around on free fixer to find < Registry > saying "System error message: A device attached to the system is not functioning." I did a scan on FreeFixer and found the same error, with a bit more text. A couple snippets of what I found on FreeFixer are in the attached files, as well as on the bottom of the thread as an image. The thing that I'm worried about being possible malware is a file called "cpuz143_x64.sys" in a temp folder. I looked it up, it's apparently supposed to be in the AppData/Local/Temp/ location, in a subfolder called "cpuz143," but I found this copy of cpuz143 in my C:/Windows/Temp/cpuz143 folder. I like to say I know things about electronics, but that's really just hardware, and I can't tell you too much about what software is telling me about a "device attached to the system" not functioning, especially when all I have attached is a headset, mouse, and keyboard. I hope someone could help me with this problem, but it doesn't seem to be doing any harm just yet, so I'm not too worried. PID96.PNG

ErrorPID96.PNG

Welcome aboard

cpuz143_x64.sys is a legit file.
http://www.cpuid.com/
That driver is part of CPUID.

There is no reason to play with registry. It's better to leave it alone.

As for errors, every computer has some listed. It's normal.

If your computer behaves normally you should be good to go.

Okay, thanks for the information! I did not install CPU-Z from any website, and it appeared in a /Windows/ temp folder instead of a /Local/ temp folder at some point, but I don't know when, since I don't check my temp folders. It was 'modified' at the time I restarted my computer so it seemed new. I just I wasn't sure about it. As for the errors, I'll keep an eye out for any other problems and possible causes for another freeze! Thank you for the quick reply, and have a good day Broni!

Back