Possible motherboard problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spkenny

I have a system that puts out long continuous beeps, obviously a RAM error. But upon replacing the original 512 DDR1 stick with 3 other sticks (yes, these are good sticks), the motherboard continues to do the same thing. I believe its a possible motherboard issue. Any suggestions?

Find out what version of BIO's your motherboard uses. Award, Phoenix...ect.

Then google your BIOs version along with beep codes. You should get a list of different beeps and their meanings that your BIOs specifically uses.

Something like this

http://www.amptron.com/html/bios.beepcodes.html

Good luck ;D

You can post back what version you have and we'll help you out as well.

Hey guys we've been getting a lot of these lately. Maybe we should make a Beep code info sticky, I know there was a post about it before ;D

how do I find the bios version? No display will even come up to tell me this information, just immediately does the beeping. And in case anyone is wondering, no, it's not the video card as I have it hooked to a secondary card that I know works.

Well you can find you motherboard model and google it, It is usually written on the motherboard in more bold or noticeable letters, usually white text. If you can't open it then if you bought a computer from somewhere like Dell, HP...etc. Look for a model name like "HP pavilion <Model number>" Sometimes the BIO's is written on the motherboard as well but don't pull out a magnifying glass looking through everything on the board because It might not be there xD

ok, its on a rainbow strip sticker on the mouse and keyboard port of the motherboard. Phoenix Bios D686

I would suspect some form of failure or conflict with your VPU, CPU or motherboard if your RAM has already been replaced. Try reseating those components and apply fresh thermal compound to your CPU.

Try and get down an exact error code so you can research it online.

Thank you zeno

I suspect the motherboard too, but I just am ruling everything out before coming to that conclusion. As for an error code, I would be more than glad to research it, if there was such a thing happening. There's nothing even coming up on the screen, just a constant loop of long beeps with 4-5 seconds in between each beep. No short beeps are heard. Everything I've read leads to obvious memory failure, so I believe at this point it is the motherboard itself. My customer won't be pleased, that's for sure. I'll try applying silver thermal paste as you suggested anyway. Who knows....

By "error code" I am referring to those beeps you keep mentioning. They are BIOS beeps and they'll aid you in identifying the component(s) at fault. Whiffen has posted a link to some of the beep codes for your BIOS above. Try and compare your beeps to those, or, find a chart for your specific BIOS version/motherboard.

I see. I did'nt see the link earlier, but I've been to 5 different sites containing the same info on the beep codes for the phoenix bios. they have what seems every scenario except mine. 2-1-1, 1-2-1, and such. Mine would be 1-1-1. No such listing is anywhere I've looked.

if nobody has any other possible solutions to this problem, I'll just assume the motherboard needs replacing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back