Power outage, possible surge, occasional BSOD

We lost power briefly last week due to lightning storm. Afterwards I tried to restart the PC (Dell Dimension 4550) and it took several attempts to get it to boot up, but it did. However, after being up and running for a while, it eventually reverts to a BSOD with various messages ("registry cannot load the hive file systemroot\system32\config\software", or "problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. Process or thread crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated"). Since it will boot up and operate (albeit quite slowly, and only for a limited time), just looking for suggestions as to source of problem or any diagnostics that can be run. Thx.

Sorry for delayed response, been one of those weeks. Yes, we typically leave the PC powered up 24/7, and it was ON when we lost power. At least we used to. If I can resuscitate it I'm thinking we'll power it down when not in use.

Can you post any minidumps by going to C:\windows\minidump and select all the .dmp files, right-click sending these files to a compressed(zipped)folder. Upload the folder as a file here...

Done. FYI, I am currently able to boot up in Safe Mode, so at least that's a good sign. Thx for whatever guidance you can provide.

Attachments

• Mini061315-01.zip
    62.4 KB · Views: 1
Can you re-install Windows fresh? it looks like some of the system files may be damaged from the power outage

Back up your important files if you can, and yes, a re-install will wipe all existing files...

Back