Power problem with Toshiba Satellite A50

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hiya everyone,

maybe someone has an idea an can help...
The problem I got is that the A50 suddendly powers off! This happens with and without the power supply being connected.
Any ideas where I could start looking for the issue??

Big thanks for any hints :)

Meems

Overheating is definitely a possibility, but that doesn't necessarily mean the fan needs to be replaced. There might just be too much dust in the heatsink and fan for there to be enough airflow to cool your CPU.

There could be other explanations too. How long does it take, usually? Do you see a blue screen right before it shuts off? Any other clues?

Thanks for the first hints :)

The laptop wasn't used for a long time, so it maybe the cooler that doesnt work.

As for clues:
Usually it takes about 1-3mins (varies all the time) before it power goes.
And no blue screen or similar as I have yet to reload the operating system.

First check the air intake and exhaust ports in the laptos case. Use a vacuum cleaner to dislodge any loose debris... Then tell us if you hear any fan noise

1-3 mins is probably indicative of overheating. Just like Tmagic650 suggested, it wouldn't surprise me if the fan is actually the problem.

I have an A70 with which I used to have the same problem, I blew out the fans with air (they were pretty much clean) then I went and made a riser for it, so the rubber pads would fit into grooves and lock into position (approx. 1-1/2" - 2" off the desk just for testing) and it worked fine. For almost a year now I have it sitting on a cooling pad and it works great. ;)

Because the laptop hasn't been used in a long time, the fans bearings could be frozen... They are not too difficult to change

Everyone :wave:
First a big thank you to you all for the great support and the various advices!

I'll see that I open up the laptop soon (need to download the "how to..."), clean out the fan and see if it still works at all. If not then I should be able to get one thru eBay I hope... :grinthumb

Will post an update when done :)

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back