Power supply concerns

realbaz

- ECS C51GM-M (V1.0)
* AMD Athlon x64 3000+ single core processor
- Nvidia 8400GS (512mb) [PCI-EX]
- Genius 5.1 surround sound card [PCI]
- HYNIX 1GB PC2 6400 666 DDR2 RAM

- MY PSU is unbranded 450W max output. ( not sure if this is true output )

There is a brand on it, if it is legal. Take it out and look at the back.
450 watts is ample for most computer demands.

All power supplies, by law, in the USA and most European countries require posting of the output for fire and safety reasons. Fines are pretty huge for resellers if that info is not posted on one side of the PSU... and their fire insurance and business license are at risk.

As a general rule, power supplies are ok if they work until you get into gaming or photo design work.
When they quit and stay quit, you need a replacement

If you have a crummy power supply, you are pushing it with the equipment you describe... but we would be more concerned about cooling and power if we knew what uses you were putting to the system.

I'd be concerned too, if the unbranded(generic) power supply is as old as the hardware its plenty to be concerned about or enough of an issue to at least ask someone.

I doubt with that hardware you'd exceed your power needs on that psu. Just be mindful of things like instant loss of power and pc restarts.

There is no brand on the psu, and i use my computer for mostly Computer/MMO gaming and media share capabilities

For sure not a good powersupply, but considering what he's running, I don't think it will be a huge problem as long as powersupply failure is kept in mind as a possibility.

Back