Power Supply Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

EXCellR8

Alright I'm a little frustrated right now but it might actually be a good thing. I was planning to buy an ULTRA X3 800w power supply from TigerDirect.com but when I looked today it was listed as unavailable, just my luck. The unit was listed at $199.xx and came to about $215 with shipping.

Anyways, I've been searching around and there are few retailers that sell this unit; it's been unavailable from ULTRA's online store. However, while I was browsing more listings I came across a sweet deal for the X3 1000w model, only $205. This model is listed on Tiger for $299 plus shipping. So, I just bought the unit because it was almost what I would have paid for the 800w on Tiger, came to $222 with shipping.

My question is, 1000w is probably way overkill for my system, would a PSU this powerful (70A on a single 12v rail) damage my system's components if I were to use it anyway? I think I need a minimum of 700w for this system - Intel q6600, two 8600GT's in SLi, three hard disk drives and two DVD drives. Not a very power-hungry setup so I am a bit worried about using this PSU. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

Wait for a second/third opinion, but I believe it would NOT, as the system would only draw the power needed from the PSU.

mopar is correct, the amperage is only what the unit can provide if the components require it, it is not forced to the components like voltage is.

I don't think you needed a 700+ Watt PSU either.

Alright, thanks guys. I kinda figured that the unit would only supply the power needed but I wasn't sure if it would destroy my new components. I get what you're saying about the amperage, makes sense. I know this unit is pretty far overkill for this setup but I didn't want to take the chance with the 600w model. I like these ULTRA units because of their full modular design and flexforce cables. I am using a similar but older 500w xConnect model and it's great, so I'm sure I'll be happy with this new one. Plus, if I ever decide to further upgrade my system, I doubt I'll have to buy another PSU!

[EDIT] Looks like this PSU can provide enough juice to a QX9770, 3 8800GTX's (overclocked), 4+ 500GB hard drives and a complete water cooling system. This thing is just gonna laugh when I turn it on with my setup.

I have heard that modular cabling is not a very good thing, is that true? I figured it would be because of heat, but then again.... I am not to sure. Clarification?

You lose some efficiency in the connections.

Yeah I heard that too but I haven't seen any proof. I guess it makes sense because of all the different removable/configurable connections but I would think that it wouldn't matter if you didn't use every cable. I've been using modular for a couple years and I haven't experienced any problems. I'd rather have the modular feature anyways; I can't stand having all kinds of cables I don't need, especially if I can't hide them anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back