Power supply

tussin33

upgrading to a 600 W PS so i can upgrade my GPU and i needed to know, can any power supply work with any pc? i know pc's are a lot about compatibility

There are proprietary formats especially in small form factor PC's.

Before we could answer, we need to know which PC you have?

You should be fine, as far as I'm aware, HP never used a proprietary power supply.

Any of these PSU will work. I recommend using a good name brand though. I'm currently using the CORSAIR CX600 V2 600W myself.

Name brands I recommend: (Note this is only my opinion from reviews I have read and recommendations from several others)
  • Antec
  • Corsair
  • OCZ Technology
  • PC Power and Cooling
  • SeaSonic USA
  • Thermaltake

The Cool Power would probably work but think you'd be better off going with one the brands that clifford recommended in his post above.

i'm just a fan of the price lol, but of course i don't want it to die on me.. i just never really built or upgraded a PC before this one, I bought it premade and learned that i over paid, so now im slowly but surely upgrading it. Put ram in for the first time ever a few weeks ago, and now i'm getting complicated with PSU & GPU.. after this which is gonna cost 200$ + -__- i should be good for atleast a year i hope. I guess the moral of my story would be Is paying more for a NAME brand worth it in the long run? are Cheaper smaller brands like the one i posted Prone to breakdowns?

Lets just say you hear more horror stories from the cheaper brands. That doesn't mean you wouldn't find a power supply that will last you. It means that your chances of buying a power supply with a shorter life are greater with cheaper brands.

The more expensive brands uses higher quality parts and better designed voltage regulation under loads. Meaning if you load down a cheaper power supply the voltages may drop below recommended specs. The more expensive power supplies are better designed to prevent these drops in voltage.

Back