Prescription version of Google Glass coming later this year

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Last month Google product director Steve Lee said the company was working on a Google Glass reference model for prescription lenses for people that must wear glasses to correct vision problems. Following up on Lee’s statement, Google has officially confirmed that a model for prescription glasses will be available by the end of the year.

The search giant made the announcement earlier today on Google+ where they said the question of whether or not Glass will work with a prescription is one of the most commonly asked. The team has been hard at work on it and because Glass is designed to be modular, you will be able to add frames and lenses that match your prescription.

prescription google glass project glass lenses google plus

The Project Glass team included a picture of Greg Priest-Dorman, a team member and early pioneer in wearable computing, wearing a prototype device they are testing to further illustrate the point. Google says the prescription kit won’t be ready in time for the Explorer Edition’s release but we can expect to see them later this year.

The Explorer Edition is being distributed to developers that pre-ordered the device as well as a select few that won the opportunity to buy the $1,500 augmented reality visor as part of a recent contest. The visor was first made available to Google I/O attendees to pre-order nearly nine months ago. The retail price for the headset is expected to be less than $1,500 when they become available to the public, we’re told.

Permalink to story.

I am one of these who depend on glasses and hate them;
Curious if this innovation is going to kill the sight correction business (laser eye surgeries)... I guess at least eyeglasses are back into the fashion!

I'm used to wearing glasses, and the geek in me is certainly enthusiastic about the idea of Glass. I would still love to know more about it and read reviews, but there could be one such geek toy in my future life.

I'm used to wearing glasses, and the geek in me is certainly enthusiastic about the idea of Glass. I would still love to know more about it and read reviews, but there could be one such geek toy in my future life.

There could be? There WILL be. We should most likely have the opportunity (assuming if you are at least under 65 years of age) that you will get to see this, and probably for only a few hundred dollars.

I'll wait it out, would have to be one of the only people in Indiana walking around with one of these on their glasses anyways! I'm already labeled the computer geek without having gadgets on my face! lol

Yeah, and being HOT means costly. So, the next grand theft is Google Glass. Congrats...better lower the prices geniuses. :D

I had my cornea warped by lazer surgery and had to have custom hard contact lenses
made by Boston eye (5-8,000 dollars) to see. This may be another answer.

I am one of these who depend on glasses and hate them;
Curious if this innovation is going to kill the sight correction business (laser eye surgeries)... I guess at least eyeglasses are back into the fashion!
Yeah man! Google is going to cleanse the world of evil, poverty, abolish the seven deadly sins, astigmatism, and uphold the ideals of the "Miss America Pageant".

The only thing that could thwart this "second coming", is if they don't take in enough ad revenue.

"Yea thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for Google art tracking me"!

Wow, man. That sounds cynical AND creepy. :eek:
That's because it was intended to be. Ya gotta admit though, there's an element of truth in it.

To quote our "greatest president ever", George W. Bush, "mission accomplished"!

Next time, maybe I'll rephrase it to read, "yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, the only evil I fear is Google tracking me"...

There could be? There WILL be. We should most likely have the opportunity (assuming if you are at least under 65 years of age) that you will get to see this, and probably for only a few hundred dollars.

I mean using that there's a good chance I'll be an early adaptor of this. I still hope it will only cost a few hundred dollars even in its first incarnation, because I imagine it would require a smartphone for full functionality, so I'll need to buy one.

Back